cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Underscore

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am trying to enter e mail contacts into my Nokia 640 with Microsoft operating system.  I am stuck trying to enter my sons address as it contains underscore three time, and this does not show on the keyboard as far as I can see.  Any advice please?

Message 1 of 15
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous

Many people with Nokia have the same problem it seems...

You can do this

Hit the button to bring up the numbers and symbols ("&123"), then just above it, hit that big arrow pointing to the right. In that same row, you will find the underscore, to the right of the equal sign (=) and above the space bar.

Or someone else did this

Hold down the "." and you'll see "_" as an option in the popup.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-928/229325-underscore-_-character-email-address-text-message.html

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous

Many people with Nokia have the same problem it seems...

You can do this

Hit the button to bring up the numbers and symbols ("&123"), then just above it, hit that big arrow pointing to the right. In that same row, you will find the underscore, to the right of the equal sign (=) and above the space bar.

Or someone else did this

Hold down the "." and you'll see "_" as an option in the popup.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-928/229325-underscore-_-character-email-address-text-message.html

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 15

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

Try using a different keyboard. I don't know if you can get it for Windows phones, but Swiftkey is a very popular keyboard app. It's free on Android, so hopefully it's free on Windows' app store.

Edit: Just Googled it and Swiftkey isn't available, but I found this article which might be of some use:

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/129915-the-main-reason-to-upgrade-to-windows-phone-8-1-the-free-swif...

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Many thanks for your help.  My phone is a Lumia 640 and is completely up to date.Updates are set to install automatically. I will search for an alternative keyboard when I return home later.

Thanks again.

Message 4 of 15

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

From the link that @Cleoriff posted it appears as if you can do what you want to do from the stock Windows keyboard, but if you're looking for an alternative, follow the link I posted. Good luck.:smileywink:

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 15

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Also try the suggestions I posted. Finding the underscore seems to be an issue with many of the Nokia phones acccording to the reading I did this morning before posting. Once you know how to find it I doubt it would be a problem again @Anonymous...:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 15

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Apologies @Bambino...we posted at the same time...:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

I found that if I hold the full stop down the underscore appears.  This is absolutely ridiculous, hiding features like this with no mention in any instructions.  Help and tips is a complete waste of time and space.  No matter what is put into search the same list of irrelevent suggestions come up in a three mile long list.  Otherwise I quite like the phone.

Message 8 of 15

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Yes that's what the second person did in my post (Held the full stop down)

I agree it is silly but at least it is sorted now @Anonymous. Glad you like the phone wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 15