cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring contract

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

I paid for an iPhone 4s and a 24 month contract in my name and with monthly payments from my own bank account. However this was actually a present to my daughter.

The current contract is about to end. My daughter now wants to pay for the phone services (and probably an upgrade) and it is essential that the same number is kept.

How do I go about transferring this number and payment info to my daughter, please? Should I do the upgrade and new service choice first and then transfer or try to organise the new phone and service with the same number with her personal and bank details? She is an adult.

Many thanks

Vigman

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

You would have to end the contract yourself and your daughter to take a contract in her own name. The number can be transferred. Alternatively you can leave it in your name and change the payment details to her account in My O2.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

your daughter will need to call O2 first to undergo a credit check and get an account number.

you will then be able to have the number transferred to this new account

Message 2 of 9

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

You would have to end the contract yourself and your daughter to take a contract in her own name. The number can be transferred. Alternatively you can leave it in your name and change the payment details to her account in My O2.

Message 3 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the replies.

Just nervous about losing the number when daughter takes out her own contract/account.

Pity there is not a single form for this like the business request transfer as it must happen in other families?

TIA

Vigman

Message 4 of 9

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Business accounts are billed completely differently.
For consumer accounts the owner is the person named on the account.
Once your daughter has her own contract (and account) it is easy for you to transfer the number which will then cancel the current account that you hold.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just trying to get the logistics right so there is continuation of service. Do we wait until the last day of my contract for my daughter to take out her own contract and request the number transfer?

Will there be a difference in cost from me taking a phone and service upgrade when my contract ends and my daughter buying the same phone and package from new in her own right, please?

Thanks again

Vigman

Message 6 of 9

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Prices will be exactly the same.
You need to do it in the last month of your contract just as the bill is generated.
That way you will avoid paying an extra month of your 30 days notice.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Many thanks for the advice!

Vigman

Message 8 of 9

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
No worries mate.
Make sure you leave your direct debit in place for at least 1 more month to allow for any billing adjustments in or out of your account.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 9