cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telefonica Refuses To Rule Out Sale of O2 UK

Anonymous
Not applicable
Would fit the recent suggestion that o2 are bulking up to increase sale value.

Could Three be considering a sweep. Regulators are warming to the idea of 3 networks in each country.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/business/world/a/25572946/telefonica-does-not-rule-out-a-sale-of-o...
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Piperdog123

Thank you for sharing the link and attached News Story.

It's always interesting to read media stories like this and I think I Remember a similar story not too long ago regarding O2.

Time will tell. 😄
Message 2 of 18

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

This has been spoken about for at least 12 months here on the community and would come as no shock at all.

They've been streamlining over the last couple of years and to me it's  inevitable. 

Message 3 of 18

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

I wonder if Telefonica regret selling the fixed line and broadband to Sky who will soon be able to offer a complete comms+TV package.

It left O2 with just a mobile phone product which is obviously easier to sell off than a more complicated package of products but has left them exposed to the key players of BT, VM and Sky....and EE but they are well under the bedclothes with BT by using their fixed line+fibre/broadband+TV.

So O2UK is now a little isolated and outside of the big players which is why Telefonica can't rule out a sale.

Perhaps the idea is to sell the O2 mobile network to Sky and become an MVNO rather than Sky being the MVNO on the O2 network.

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 4 of 18

jonsie
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I think a sale has been on the cards a long time. The sell off of bbq and home phone, closing down email, outsourcing customer service, the obsolete on of blue book and it's replacement, job losses.  

All done to make it a more attractive proposition for perspective buyers especially with a parent company in financial straits too.

Message 5 of 18

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

An interesting read @Anonymous - thanks for the link slight_smile

Message 6 of 18

iar1980
  • 127 Posts
  • 10 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

If they do sell, i would love to see Virgin, Sky & BT have a good fight to take it off Telefonica Good Idea

Current Phones: iPhone XS Max
Previous Phones: Samsung Galaxy Note 9, Pixel 2 XL, iPhone 7, HTC 10, HTC One (M8), HTC One (M7), iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 5s, HTC One A9, HTC Desire HD, Lumia 640 XL, Nokia 5800 XpressMusic
Message 7 of 18

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143426 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
I would have thought Virgin very unlikely but Sky wouldn't surprise me at all.....?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 18

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

There is already a connection after the fixed line+broadband sale to Sky.

Also Sky have indicated the probability of their MVNO service using O2.

Sky are big enough to buy O2UK and then for O2 to operate MVNO on the Sky network......but that could possibly affect the MVNOs using the current O2 network.

That would perhaps put Sky in a better strategic position than BT.....which would put a big smile on Jeremy Darroch's face.

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 9 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
I thought Sky and Vodafone were in detailed talks. Wasn't aware o2 were in there on this one.
Message 10 of 18