cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Signal booster for coverage in rural areas

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi. Does anybody know of a way to boost coverage for the O2 signal in rural areas. Sick of hanging out of the window.
I have decent broadband speed from sky but O2 customer services have told me the poor reception is not their issue. Told me to look on ebay for a booster.
When I mentioned a boost box to use the internet to phone they just blanked it. Denver even considered it as an option although my neighbour on a business contract has one and it works fine.

Shame really as I've been a loyal O2 customer for years and it seems myself and my wife will have to leave.

Cheers
Paul
Message 1 of 61
60 REPLIES 60

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144285 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions
Firstly any non approved signal boosters are illegal and you can end up in jail for owning them.
Two things you can try, re the WiFi, go onto your Wifi settings page and click menu >Advanced tere is an option in there to keep WiFi on "Always"
The other thing you can try is to go into Network settings and select "GSM" which will stop the phone searching for a 3G signal and restrict it to 2G.
Obviously you will want to still be using WiFi for data as 2G is very slow but the call reception should be better.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 21 of 61

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks...

And given how the law in the UK works...jail for such nonsense really wouldnt surprise me when they freely welcome terrorists and murderers into the country and give them freedom and money to live here.

It's weird that, isnt it ? I'll never understand our law makers.

I've tried the phone in both network modes, really doesnt make much odds. ( Have had other handsets over the years too, again made no odds to performance )

Although in recent year or two, overall signal seems to have got worse.

Other problem with TuGo...is again lack of call forwarding. I'm always out and about with work, and phone contact is vital. So at least if I have no signal when not registered with O2, it will divert to my backup phone on Virgin. If that fails, I have voicemail.

If I register with TuGo, I lose all that backup phone contact

I see in power saving settings there is a feature to keep WiFi on, that will help with one aspect when at home

Is there any way to retain call forwarding and voicemail when registered with TuGo so I can have more reliable contact when out and about ?

Message 22 of 61

MI5
  • 144285 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions

I'll have to flag @jonsie into the thread to answer about call forwarding as it's not something I use on Tugo, sorry, but hopefully he'll be along later to help.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 23 of 61

Anonymous
Not applicable
OK thanks, any info will be helpful.
Message 24 of 61

Anonymous
Not applicable

Reference

http://www.o2signalboosters.co.uk/products/O2-GSM-900MHZ-Mobile-Signal-Booster-Up-to-500sqm.html

Buyer Beware.  I ordered from them thinking it was O2 endorsed, how wrong!  When eventually delivered it was not as shown on the website and DID NOT WORK.  Daily emails have gone unanswered and there is no contact phone number.  The "Returns" button mentioned in their returns section is not there.  Thank goodness I paid by credit card.

Message 25 of 61

MI5
  • 144285 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions
^^^ Also illegal to use in the UK.

Currently using:
Message 26 of 61

jonsie
  • 93213 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6969 Solutions

Most signal boosters you see on sale are usually illegal or as you found, simply don't work. Good you got the money back fromm the credit card. 

Message 27 of 61

MI5
  • 144285 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions
Destroy it before you get arrested for owning one and jailed.
Many have in the past as you are transmitting without a license.
It will also pull down any other networks in the same area.

Currently using:
Message 28 of 61

jonsie
  • 93213 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6969 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

If only phone companies offered good signal so people wouldnt need to resort to such devices !!

I've seen those websites before and been tempted to buy, they are definitely laid out to almost appear officially endorsed.

Message 30 of 61