cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S4 - bulging battery issue - appalling O2 response to the problem

Anonymous
Not applicable

My Galaxy S4 has the bulging battery problem.  It's well documented, and both Samsung and O2 accept that there was a problem with these batteries.  My guess is that it's a fire risk just waiting to happen.

One phone came from Amazon, who dealt with the problem superbly, more than a year after the purchase.  An immediate and helpful response - problem solved with a new battery.

O2, however, provided the other phone and they couldn't be less helpful.  They expect me to hand them back the phone (with its user-replaceable battery) so that they can send it back to Samsung.

Are they serious?  Hand over my phone, along with all the personal data on it?  Do without it until it gets sent back again?  And this for a £400+ phone, for the sake of a £10 battery?

Comet used to provide customer service like this, and look where it got them!

Mobile phone companies have managed to get an appalling reputation with the general public, and behaviour like this from O2 just makes it worse.  Why would anyone buy a phone from O2 when they behave like this?

Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi @Anonymous

We recently had another op with the same argument.

If memory serves it was a case that they want the whole thing back to test the unit and battery.

I think even Samsung themselves wanted it all back too !

If this was me I would buy an original Samsung battery and go from there. Ok your a bit out of pocket but at least the handset does not leave your person.
Message 21 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks @Anonymous

For the moment I have taken the battery out of my spare S4 to see how things develop. Might just send that handset back just to get the battery changed.

Does seem ridiculous especially as they won't supply a spare handset whilst the device is away.
Message 22 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable
Don't they (02) still offer a dumb down phone for pay monthly customers with a returnable deposit ?
Message 23 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable
Only if the store has one in Stock and o2 told me that they don't have many.
Message 24 of 31

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144369 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27677 Solutions
I believe the reason is because some phones were found to have a faulty charging circuit which caused the issue and obviously can't be checked without having the phone too.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 25 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a swollen battery on my S4 - phone purchased from o2 in Bluewater, Kent.

I didn't actually speak to O2 regarding my battery, I went ahead and called my local Samsung authorised service centre, explained that I'd bought the phone from O2, it's battery was swelling and asked what I need to do. They advised me to pop in, so I went along with the phone (no proof of purchase, no box/accessories - literally just the phone) and they swapped out the battery. I was in and out of the service centre within 3 minutes. No sending the phone off involved at all. They took the swollen battery to be disposed of.

I realise that technically speaking your "sales contract" is with O2 so O2 should resolve it, but because this issue is covered by a manufacturer recall, you are allowed to contact the manufacturer for a suitable fix, you don't have to rely on the retailer.

Message 26 of 31

jonsie
  • 93236 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

So true and it's good that you got it sorted so easily. Unfortunately many people don't have the convenience of a local Samsung store or dealer:smileysad:

Message 27 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am currently on my 4th Battery..... NOT a happy bunny!!Smiley Mad 

Message 28 of 31

MI5
  • 144369 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27677 Solutions
There has to be a reason for that.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 29 of 31

Cleoriff
  • 122927 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
There has to be a reason for that.....

I think I would have contacted Samsung before now?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 30 of 31