cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SCAM WARNING JAN 2015

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear .............................

We are contacting you today with regard to the following device(s) which are linked to your O2 account and monthly mobile plan.

Mobile Number: .........................
Monthly Plan: O2 600 24 month £37.99 per month

In response to an increase in VAT in the EU and currency changes, and as a result of last week's VAT-related price change, it has come to our attention that between Oct 2012 and Oct 2014 there was a system error which resulted in some of our customers paying the incorrect rate of VAT on some services.

Please confirm that the account holder information as displayed below is correct;
Account Holder: ......................
Date of Birth: ....................

We've recalculated your bills and can confirm that you're owed £62.50.
This amount will be credited to your account and will appear on your next bill

In order for the refund to be processed, we request that you click here and log into your O2 account to validate yourself as the account holder.

This procedure must be completed within 24 hours. Regards,
The O2 Team
Message 1 of 63
62 REPLIES 62

Anonymous
Not applicable
very true and what are o2 doing about this scam nothing i suppose till monday? what a joke
Message 21 of 63

Anonymous
Not applicable
I wouldn't hold out on Monday making any difference @Anonymous
Message 22 of 63

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

I'm not sure any statement from o2 about this latest breach  of our details will be anywhere near adequate. They cannot possibly justify their woeful data protection. 

Message 23 of 63

Anonymous
Not applicable

I recevied two of these type of emails over the weekend. Both very convincing, both with my personal account details including user name, DOB, phone model, plan / tarrif, serial number and PUK code. I can't spot anything on them that would not lead you to believe they are genuine, other than the link URL's not going to O2 and the instruction to action within 24 hours. Even the target site is an excellent copy of the live O2 website.

This is an extremely serious breach of personal information, most likely by an O2 Partner, but potentially O2 themselves.

My primary concern is that with details such as date of birth, there is a real possibility of wider identity theft.

Here is an extract from my email, which you can see has even more informaiton than the original in the first post...

Dear mr xxxxxxxxxxx

We are contacting you today with regard to the following device(s) which are linked to your O2 account and monthly mobile plan.

Mobile Number: xxxxxxxxxxx
Monthly Plan: O2 Refresh ultd 24M 8GB 4G
Device Type: iPhone 6 Plus (A1524)
Serial Number: xxxxxxxxxxxxx
PUK Code: xxxxxxxx

In response to an increase in VAT in the EU and currency changes, and as a result of last week's VAT-related price change, it has come to our attention that between Oct 2012 and Oct 2014 there was a system error which resulted in some of our customers paying the incorrect rate of VAT on some services.

Please confirm that the account holder information as displayed below is correct;
Account Holder: xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date of Birth: dd/mm/yyyy

We've recalculated your bills and can confirm that you're owed £62.50.
This amount will be credited to your account and will appear on your next bill

In order for the refund to be processed, we request that you click here and log into your O2 account to validate yourself as the account holder.

This procedure must be completed within 24 hours. Regards,
The O2 Team
Message 24 of 63

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
We need a new fan, this one's covered in doody.
Message 25 of 63

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122901 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

@viridis wrote:
We need a new fan, this one's covered in doody.

Indeed it is...and as I have said before.... a tip of the iceberg. Only a few people will be posting on here....what about all the others that haven't?.. Evil

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 26 of 63

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

I've already emailed/SMS friends/relatives who are a O2 customers.......which is more than O2 have done wink

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 27 of 63

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
A contact email or text should have gone out by now. At least making people aware.
Message 28 of 63

Cleoriff
  • 122901 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

@Beenherebefore wrote:

I've already emailed/SMS friends/relatives who are a O2 customers.......which is more than O2 have done wink

I have done the same @Beenherebefore  Most of my family are with O2....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 29 of 63

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Hi AG2015,

Thank you very much for flagging this. I shall alert the team. If you have not done so already, please follow the instructions in the below link to report it directly.

http://www.o2.co.uk/help/everything-else/phishing#qs

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 30 of 63