cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming explanation...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Morning all. New here, been an O2 customer for years and years though (BT Cellnet originally!).

Just a quick one about roaming.

I recently took a week in Germany, and before I went I researched O2's roaming policies. Friends on EE and Vodafone had add-ons which, for £1.50 per day, would allow them use of their contract benefits from abroad - that's all of the included texts, minutes, and most importantly data, when roaming anywhere in Europe.

I decided to check out O2's policy for this and was astonished that for £1.50 a day I could use only 15MB of data. Now, given how large photos and websites are getting, understandably this was gone by lunchtime each day and I had to buy additional bolt ons to carry on going.

This is where it gets more annoying. O2-UK are owned by Telefonica, as I understand it, part of the Telefonica Europe group. While I was out in Germany, I was roaming on, funnily enough, O2-DE... owned by Telefonica... part of the Telefonica Europe group...

Why? Why are there still roaming charges for two parts of the same companies network? Are they charging themselves for roaming then passing the cost onto me? I'm not understanding...!

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
Useful useless info for the Pub talks wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 21 of 25

Cleoriff
  • 122901 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

I have this roaming business down to a fine art now...(thanks to a lot of help from my friends :smileywink:) I go to Spain a lot and yes my bill is slightly higher when I go due really to the calls I make 50p connection fee and then 'free' for 59minutes.....For anything else...I use Wifi...(Lucky I suppose that this area of Spain has WiFi everywhere) ....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 22 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable
So there is no fixed data limit in Europe now for contract customers? It looks like the £1.99/50MB is for PAYG, contract has 'no fixed upper limit'. Do we know where the traffic management starts?
Message 23 of 25

jonsie
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions
Message 24 of 25

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Do we know where the traffic management starts?

Post #19 on this thread links to O2's key facts on TM.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 25 of 25