cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ripped off by O2 on returned lease phone

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, where do I start ?

Am I the only person that has been ripped off by O2Lease ?

Returned my iPhone5 in PERFECT condition - and I mean totally free from any scratches or marks on the screen and no other marks - and I have pictures to prove this.

The totally dishonest people at O2 have now sent me a bill for £250 saying that the phone is classed as D) Seen better days - and is reported to have surface scratches all over and a dim backlight.

I was using the phone up until an hour before it was sent back - and there was nothing wrong with it.

The very cleverly only sent me this bill AFTER I am out of my 7 day cooling off period on my new lease - even though I had chased them within that period to check it was received back safely.

They no will not do ANYTHING for me - I have asked them to reassess the phone - but they won't do that - I have asked them to waive the charge and they won't do that - so in the end they want to rip me off for £250 for a phone that could not have been returned in a better condition.

My 8 year old daughter is in tears because she thinks that she must be responsible as she played a lot of games on it.

I am angry because I have 2 phones on lease and it it not the cheapest way to have a phone - but is convenient for upgrading - - and if I am going to be ripped off each time for an extra £250 - that's another £20 a month !!

Not at all happy.

You can't post on the O2 Facebook page because they don't allow new posts by customers.

All I can suggest to anyone with a leased phone is take it to an O2 shop at the end of the lease and get them to sign for it, and note the condition, then get them to return it - otherwise you stand the chance of being ripped off.

They could have only classed the phone as worse than a D if it was smashed/fake/stolen/not returned - to have returned a phone that was working 100% in every way and to be ripped off is appalling and I will not be paying them.

I would LOVE to hear anyone else's experience - If I am the only one in this position I will put it down to bad luck and that they must have mixed the phones up or something - but I can't believe I am the only one - a search on the internet proves that !

I look forward to anyone's comments - especially O2's ! 

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144290 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27654 Solutions
I would send a strong letter and your photos to complaints http://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain asking them to prove it is your old phone they are talking about and questioning how the condition could have changed so much since you posted it back.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

Unfortunately yours is not the first we've heard of this.

When I review a handset for O2 I always take a photo of the phone front and back either time/date stamped or placed on a copy of that days newspaper.

Simply to cover oneself that the phone was sent back in the condition I know it was in.
Message 2 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
A similar thread http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Discussions-Feedback/Charged-228-for-a-returned-lease-phone/m-p/422986/...

Possibly this link can help http://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain/complain

We are customers here like you so an official reply here by O2 probably won't occur.

However if you PM Toby who is O2 staff he may be able to assist.

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/60444 is Toby's page.
Message 3 of 9

MI5
  • 144290 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27654 Solutions
I would send a strong letter and your photos to complaints http://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain asking them to prove it is your old phone they are talking about and questioning how the condition could have changed so much since you posted it back.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Link already provided MI5. wink

{not often I can say that to you mate. slight_smile }
Message 5 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your comments and links everyone.

I have written a really strong letter - I think it must be a mistake on their part, and I have offered them the chance to admit that - let's hope they do.

I have very clear pictures of the phone front and back and there is not a mark on there - when you read their grading system on this page http://www.o2.co.uk/static/www/docs/o2_leasing_damage_leaflet-21-9-12.pdf it is unbelievable that they can think that my phone is in category D - it looks brand new !

The phone is on too - so shows that the screen is not 'dim' as they claim.

I'll post back with any reply I get.

Richard

Message 6 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm sure we all look forward to a reasonable outcome for you.
Message 7 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Richard,

Your not the only one, i have done the same not to mention i paid for a courrier service to drop it back the following day however there fail to send the letter out stating the charges until they know i cant get out of my contract Evil. As you mention its a great way to stay up with the lastest tech but god i feel they have ripped my off good and proper, its bad enough that the o2 stores dont really want to do busisness with busisness customers anymore as when you go in store they tell you sorry i cant help you must contact online sales team.

The charges i got was 79£ for each handset Iphone 5s. I would have to say these handsets went back in like new condtion, even in the same box, assos, never used or broken seal, iphones in spotless condtion.

Now im stuck in the same situation as i know that no matter how hard i look after these iphones when i return them they are going to slap me with a charge.

I tried to cancel to where i was told it would over 1K just to cancel.

Where do you go from here i have complained to o2 but didnt get anywhere, i will push highere. 

Message 8 of 9

jonsie
  • 93217 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6970 Solutions

The usual advice is to always take photographs of the condition of the phones before returning them but a little late now slight_frown

Message 9 of 9