cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Receiving other people's texts

Anonymous
Not applicable
Apologies if this is in the wrong forum, but I am supposedly sending texts from my number to family contact containing messages that I know for a certain fact, that I NEVER wrote. (Read: massively disjointed conversations about topics that I've never covered)

where should I direct my comments further?

As this is clearly an account issue and data privacy is at risk.
Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30

Cleoriff
  • 122815 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Good to hear @Anonymous I will remember this fix of yours for future reference...:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 21 of 31

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144168 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27629 Solutions
Good news slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 22 of 31

jonsie
  • 93183 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Cleaning the sim card can resolve all kinds of issues. Fingers crossed for you. 

Message 23 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff Fair enough, hope it never happens to you though slight_smile

@MI5 Thanks slight_smile

@jonsie Yeah, Probably some inexeplicably small dust particle on a contact somewhere and removing the card must have dislodged it.

Message 24 of 31

Cleoriff
  • 122815 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous If it does...I have something to try now...thanks to your fix wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 25 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can someone help me with this? 

I also have an Iphone 5s with O2 running ios 9.0.1.

Today I received two text messages from two different numbers so far with people replying to a message I had apparently sent them?? I do not know these people, do not have their numbers stored and do not understand what is happening.

I responded to the first person asking if they had the wrong number and they replied saying "Oh! Who are you?" and I responded by saying that i must be a wrong number as i dont know them. They replied with "Sorry, i am confused as a photo came through of my friends granddaughter from your number with a message" !!!!! Again i have not contacted this person and have not sent any photos etc?!?!

The other person who messaged me sent me a message saying "eto kto? :D" and i replied with "?". They replied and said "someone sent me a russian message? Was that not you? whos this?"

I am very baffled and slightly worried with whats going on. Got onto O2 and they say that they have checked my account and number and everything seems ok?

Message 26 of 31

MI5
  • 144168 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27629 Solutions
Check your Apple ID is correct and account secure.
Change password if there's a chance it's been compromised ?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 27 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous Also check your carrier settings are "O2 21.0"

They're found under "Settings > General > About"

It may read "O2 21.5" but that should only be if you have a developer or beta profile installed (in prep for 9.1 beta 3)

If yours reads normal then power off your phone and eject the simcard from the phone and then the tray, give it a light cleaning (non-fiborous cloth only) and replace in the phone.

Also as @MI5 said, check your AppleID etc as if its compromised (or shared) it could be grabbing others texts etc without warning.

Message 28 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @Anonymous.

Not all the messages were imessage which is weird - i have two step verificartion set up for my account but ill change the password etc to be sure.

Ive checked and the carrier settings im using are O2 21.0 ?

Ill try the sim card thing now.

Surely this should be broadcast to o2 customers if there is a problem if it is there fault - at this stage we dont know who or what is happening i suppose but it would be an issue for someone not tech savvy

Message 29 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable

The odd thing about iPhones is that SMS are sometimes forward via apples servers anyway (even when O2 or whoever is the phone company) don't ask me why, but I found that out a little while back.

So AppleID's have are also somewhat linked to SMS and MMS as well as iMessage.

Good to see that the carrier version is correct. (Some unknown factor causes some phones that upgrade from 8.4.1 to 9.0 or 9.0.1 to not update the carrier version, at least thats what i've seen from posts elsewhere)

If the sim card method doesn't work, it would be wise to contact apple to obtain more information (although if your phone is outside warranty, be preparted to stump up a little cash for it if you have to send it off).

Best of luck.

Message 30 of 31