cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Receiving other people's texts

Anonymous
Not applicable
Apologies if this is in the wrong forum, but I am supposedly sending texts from my number to family contact containing messages that I know for a certain fact, that I NEVER wrote. (Read: massively disjointed conversations about topics that I've never covered)

where should I direct my comments further?

As this is clearly an account issue and data privacy is at risk.
Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93156 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

It sounds likely to be an Apple ID mix up somewhere. If you nowhere with O2 customer service then contact Apple directly.

Message 11 of 31

Cleoriff
  • 122767 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

If it is an Apple ID mix up then this could pose a major security problem surely..?Astounded

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 12 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable

I can't confirm if it is the case just yet, but I believe I found the answer this morning.

It looks like something caused O2's SMS server to pull odd sentences into texts I had written and send them without showing me any of this. I pulled the sim from the phone and rebooted it, then replaced the sim and rebooted again. I got a push message about carrier settings to be updated and I let it through. It seems to have stopped the issues for the time being, but as I said before, I can't confirm anything just yet.

Perhaps I'm just unlucky.

Message 13 of 31

Cleoriff
  • 122767 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I can't confirm if it is the case just yet, but I believe I found the answer this morning.

It looks like something caused O2's SMS server to pull odd sentences into texts I had written and send them without showing me any of this. I pulled the sim from the phone and rebooted it, then replaced the sim and rebooted again. I got a push message about carrier settings to be updated and I let it through. It seems to have stopped the issues for the time being, but as I said before, I can't confirm anything just yet.

Perhaps I'm just unlucky.

Also, maybe you need to be extra extra careful about what you write in texts @Anonymous. If they are getting jumbled... you could end up in lots of trouble Fear  LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 14 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable
Oh true, that could Be embrassassing depending on the content and context, But I never send dubious messages anyhow, however I take your point.
Message 15 of 31

Cleoriff
  • 122767 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

Oh I am only having a joke @Anonymous. I am guilty of sending the occasional funny text when I have been out with friends. I usually have no recollection of them the following morning wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 16 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable
Oh I knew you were, I think most people are guilty of that in this age.

slight_smile
Message 17 of 31

MI5
  • 144074 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
That scenario has been known before but as an aside, I'm glad O2 have rolled out a carrier update for iOS9 as others were getting data connection issues.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 18 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable
How are you getting on with this @Anonymous
Message 19 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable

Since taking my SIM out and putting it back in again, I've received no further mentions of any odd texts eminating from my phone.

I've been careful to keep an eye on the matter since in case of repeat performances, but since none have been present since my last post, I would likely consider the issue resolved. A minor bug in the system as it were.

Message 20 of 31