cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems buying O2 Insurance for a Pay&Go Phone

Anonymous
Not applicable

I hope someone here can help us out!

My partner bought a Pay&Go S4 Mini from the o2 website. The website says you can ONLY buy o2 Insure from an o2 store. We went into our local store today and they (very rudely) informed us that they "did not have the means to sell insurance to a Pay&Go Handset, only Pay Monthly." This was despite the fact my friend had bought insurance on a Pay&Go handset from this same shop on the same phone only a few weeks ago. We called customer service (as per the shop's instruction) who were sure it could only be done in store, but the staff continued to adamantly deny this.

What do we do? We now only have a few days until the 28 day window is up! 

Message 1 of 29
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93213 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6969 Solutions

Good customer service costs nothing but is invaluable to a business. I'm sure the manager there would be very unimpressed with this particular staff member. Perhaps when you next go in and are met with the same response, maybe politely asking for the manager's name and the complaints address will see a change of attitude...or not.

In the meantime you can make a complaint about the particular store here : How to complain

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 29
28 REPLIES 28

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi @Anonymous and Welcome to the Community Forum.

I'm wondering if your O2 shop is a franchise as it can be known for not so good service to come from some those.

As per o2's own Insurance Link : https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/insurance/mobile-insurance

"Pay & Go customers can only get O2 Mobile Insurance from an O2 store. Valid proof of purchase required. Find your nearest store"

Is their another O2 Shop where you are ?

If so try the alternative or if not visit the store with your Proof of Purchase ,and ask for a senior shop employee / Manager to insist they follow their own T&C

Take a copy of the Link I've added on your phone to clarify.

Let s know how you get on.
Message 2 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable
Best way to solve it is go to third party online insurance or many bank account provides free insurance with specific account. But it is pay as you go phone and therefore may be you can insure your phone online...make sure you cover lost and stolen too. Hope that partly solutions of your questions.
Message 3 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there RedBedHead94, sorry that u are having this problems. But the store should be selling the insurance to you.I know u have been back and forwards but it is the store that needs to add this.                

Franchise or not it is not relevant, they should do their job and if they have any questions they need to ring customer services that will confirm this. You can also ask for the store manager, as he out of all members of staff should know what the procedure is.

Hope this helps. Let us know how u get on, if u can.

Message 4 of 29

Cleoriff
  • 122890 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Having said all of the above, O2 insurance is certainly one of the more expensive options about.

I would certainly check out other insurers and compare prices. Remember also to look at the excess being charged.

My insurance is with my building society and is vastly superior to that provided by O2 wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 29

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93213 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6969 Solutions

Some home insurance policies will cover personal items away from the home. Usually a small premium is involved  or added when the policy is due for renewal.

Message 6 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable
The specific store is Enfield, and I was under the impression the only franchise near us was Tottenham Hale. There is no other store we can go to before the 28 days is up and apparently the manager of enfield is on holiday or something. He's calling the number the only helpful guy in there gave him today to try and sort this mess out. slight_smile
Message 7 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable
That's plan b! We wanted O2 insure because, after comparisons, it was the best deal and I had a great experience with them!
Message 8 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am 100% with you on that! As a salesperson myself I was utterly disappointed with how the staff in the shop handled this. I wish I'd gotten his name (he didn't have a name tag on though) because he was completely rude and unprofessional. I've dealt with the manager before and he is awesome so it was a huge bummer he wasn't there!
Message 9 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable
We already checked! His bank won't offer anything for his basic account, and a lot of third parties didn't offer anything as good as O2 Insure. We also had multiple negative experiences from close friends about certain third party insurers whereas I had O2 insure on my s3 and it was awesome! £7 monthly, covered every eventuality and when I caused a small crack in the screen they gave me a newer version of my phone when they could have just replaced that screen!

We really want O2 insure. But if they don't want to take more of our money then that's fine too. wink
Message 10 of 29