cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor 3G signal & dropouts since area went live with 4G

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Folks.

Has anyone else noticed that after an area was upgraded to 4G, that the 3G signal and service has become very poor?

We are experiencing (on multiple devices) low signal strength and dropouts, and this literally started when 4G went live.

O2 support gave me the flat response of everything is working fine, and to ensure I had wifi turned off and mobile data on. But thats not the level of service we are experiencing, so am interested if anyone has noticed this?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
3g is generally rubbish everywhere on O2 tbh.
If I can't get a 4g signal there's no point me trying to use data at all......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 12

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions
That's not happened here.

When they upgraded the masts to 4g our 3g seemed to improve. This could be (so I'm told) that there's less congestion on the 3g as folks migrate to 4g.

You could put in a complaint, but I wouldn't hold your breath tbh.

Charlie.
Message 3 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi  @Anonymous

Where are you, if you don't mind me asking?

Message 4 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your responses folks.

We are in Ramsgate, Kent.

3G has definately gone down hill as far as we are experiencing, ah well. Before 4G we used to get full signal, no dropouts. But after, now we get low signal with dropouts.

Kind of funny, the response I got from O2 support was switch off wifi! Great!

Message 5 of 12

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
All good in Ramsgate according to O2 wink
http://status.o2.co.uk/
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous 

A lot of activity in the area....

Broadstairs has scheduled work for the 7th and Arlington house in Margate also.

O2 retail-Isle of Thanet has been having on and off problems, East Northdown farm is the worse, with 3 outages still ongoing( unplanned). These are all under a 3 mile radius from Ramsgate.

Message 7 of 12

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Broadstairs is showing as down and is being upgraded to 4G:

Live results for Broadstairs, England, Kent

• Sorry a phone mast close to you isn't working

This means you might experience problems making calls, using the internet, or sending/receiving emails.

Our Network modernisation programme to improve 2G and 3G coverage and roll out 4G has reached this area. It does mean that you may experience intermittent service on your mobile device while our engineers 'do their thing'.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 8 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have been having issues for about 2 months!
Seems as though, after numerous calls to O2 this is due to work being done in the area to upgrade to 4G. No one at O2 seems to care that I am really no longer able to use my mobile at home. Sadly after over 15 years of loyalty I have decided to move to an alternative company and am testing sims from alternative companies to see which offers the best signal.
Message 9 of 12

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
The advisers you speak to won't care (although I'm sure they will sympathise), nor will they be able to do anything to fix the problem.
You'll either have to wait it out or move as long as you aren't tied into a contract.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 12