cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone not working in Japan

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am a furious customer who phoned O2 last week before I came abroad to Japan (where I am now) and checked with your customer services team that my phone will work in Japan where I need it to make important business calls and to get around the country.

I arrived yesterday and since then my phone does not work at all - I can access two networks manually, but neither connect and I get no service at all.

This is completely unacceptable and I need your help to sort the situation straight away.

In addition, until I found this online forum I had NO way of contacting you:

- You have no customer services email address
- Your online form I found just sent an automated response saying you have closed that service (why?)
- The time difference in Japan means that when I am at my hotel the 'online chat' option is closed
And of course I cannot phone you because I have NO functioning phone.

PLEASE CONTACT ME ASAP to help me sort this urgent issue.
I am furious and will be seeking compensation for the huge amount of trouble this has caused.

Message 1 of 14
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions
Hello @Anonymous Sorry you are not able to use the phone in Japan, but you mentioned you wanted O2 to get in touch with you ASAP. How do you want them to contact you as you said you have no connection?

As it's been said, the forum is all customer based and not O2.

I do however hope you do get what you need sorted, but roaming abroad isn't always guaranteed I'm afraid, no network will give 100% when roaming due to factors outside their control.

The only thing to do is try online chat which are open the longest and see if they can help, I am aware of the time difference, but if you need it sorting, it's the only thing that you can do.

Before however you take your upset out of the person you speak to, let them see if they can help first. For your upset etc, write a complaint to customer care.

There is one possibility you may be able to use and activate an App called TUGO, I think you are supposed to activated it in UK, but it worth a try if you can and possible.

If you have a android or iPhone and on Contract ( Not business or PAYG ) you may want to download the Tu Go app which will work over wifi if you can connect to one there.
The app will allow you to make and receive calls and SMS in Japan as long as you are on wifi until you get your phone sorted.

I really do however hope you get it sorted and it doesn't ruin your trip to Japan
Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello @Anonymous I wish I could help but im just a customer like u self I will try my best 2 give u advice...I think u should call them from a friends phone or try to contact o2 by using ur hotels room telephone apart from that I'm not sure .....
Message 2 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
+44 844 809 0202 call O2 customer services and explain to them ur situation hopefully they will help u
Message 3 of 14

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92929 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

If you are pay monthly you should be able to use your phone ok according to the international pages.

When in:  Japan     Calling:  

Making calls - per minute£1.50
Receiving calls - per minute£1.25
Sending texts - per message40p

Unfortunately if you are P&G O2 do not have roaming agreements with the Japenese networks. so you cannot use your phone. If your phone is unlocked then maybe a local simcard would be better for you.

We are all customers here on the Community and no one has access to your accounts. Only customer service can help you and they will not see or respond to any request via these pages. It would seem that your best option would be the Chat help if you can possibly contact them. I realise the time difference of +8 hours but hopefully you can contact them later today.

Message 4 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi and welcome to the community.

Just a thought but when you bought your phone and set up your account with o2 you didn't have a bar on the account for premium and international calls did you?

If so that might explain your issue in which case you would need to speak to o2 to get the bar lifted?

Alternatively whilst you are abroad we assume there has been no issue with your payments? (I feel sure this isn't the issue but just looking at all options to help you?
Message 5 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
I assume you are pay monthly?
Message 6 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
If you have access to wifi in the short term whilst you sort this out might be worth downloading tugo? Although that said I think you may need to receive a text to start using that service.

Are you receiving texts?
Message 7 of 14

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92929 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Until we know whether the OP is contract or PAYG it's difficult to offer further advice.

Message 8 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes that piece of information is rather important
Message 9 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well @Anonymous perhaps I will treat you to a crystal ball for Christmas 😃.

Seriously though we want to help the OP and I suspect the lack of response is either due to time difference or the OP has signal which would be fab.
Message 10 of 14