Did you mean: 

OS X Yosemite Review with iPhone 6 use.

L_W_Ward
Level 12: Nimble
  • 625 Posts
  • 42 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Morning everyone. 

So last night I took the plung and downloaded the new OS X firmware Yosemite and by the time I woke up this morning It was ready. I know what you are thinking but my better half has the worst interenet connection in the world, I hope its unlimited.  I've got everything set up, had a play and made sure it is ready to use in my lectures (I hook up the mac to the projector) so lets see how it goes after a days use. I also plan to heavily use the handoff and continuity features with my iPhone 6 Plus and above my 20GB data limit. I will put forward a more detailed review as time goes on, I will be updating my iPhone 6 Plus review this weekend too. However here are a few of my intial points of view: BTW I'm running it on a Macbook Pro 2013 256GB thingy with lots of that ram stuff. 

Intial Thoughts and Feelings:

Its stable! very stable! no really, its stable. I've been on this thing for a few hours and not had a fault. This can only be creditied to the dev and public betas and the time it took to release. I did have access to the Beta but this is my primary machine so I wasn't ready to install it and waste ruin my work and personal machine. 

Looks AMAZING! i've seen photos and videos but this is a great improvment over previous OS's. It looks modern, fresh and clean. This may be due to my personal tastes as I am a minimalist person and this suit me like a £2000 dolla suit. (say that with an accent). Honestly this looks really good and the updated apps, Safari, iTunes etc look great with it. This truly feels like the best of the Mac OSX and IOS. I feel my Nexus 7 won't be used as much for basic household uses for a while. 

On a side note the Yosemite wallpapers look so damn SEXY! I have my own collection of wallpapers but for the first time ever I will be keeping these on my desktops. The bright colours really demonstrate the transparency effect and the clean lines look FINNNNNE on the Retina display. 

Spotlight is now a god. Seriously I'm creating a prayer and sacrifce to it and its allmighy power as it now searches everything without a need to load up the internet. I just did the typical Apple Starbucks search and its found my neaest one with the ability to call via my phone. 

Now this is all i've had to try yet but rest asured I will pair my phone with this thing and let you know how all the other features work slight_smile 

Edit: If anyone is having trouble getting Handoff and Continuity working follow the intructions in this link slight_smile Hand Off and Continuity Setup - MacRumors Forums

Edit 2: I won't be able to try out the calls and texts until IOS 8.1 is released on Monday but I will download and abuse this feature. 

iPhone 13 Pro Max 25gBG,
iPad 9th Gen,
Apple Watch Ultra,
,Airpod Pro,
Apple TV 4K,
Apple TV HD,
HomePods,
Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25

Anonymous
Not applicable
I agree the 'free' bit is awesome. The same thoughts when I updated to OS X Mavericks.

I remember having to pay for the Vista Upgrade which the cost was over £100. One of the biggest mistakes I ever made by the way.

I've been using Yosemite now since it was available ,and its like having a new MacBook Air.

Stable is a very appropriate word. 😄
Message 21 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

Not sure if its just me, but I find it uses less ram than Mavericks.

Message 22 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I'll have to check that out. 

What Mac do you use @Anonymous ?

Message 23 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I'll have to check that out. 

What Mac do you use @Anonymous ?

Late 2012 iMac.

Message 24 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable
I asked because some Mac Users haven't been able to use Handoff ,due to older Bluetooth Tech in their machines.

Link : http://www.imore.com/how-tell-if-your-mac-has-bluetooth-40

Message 25 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I asked because some Mac Users haven't been able to use Handoff ,due to older Bluetooth Tech in their machines.

Link : http://www.imore.com/how-tell-if-your-mac-has-bluetooth-40

Not totally sure, but with the iMac, I think you need at least the 2011 iMac and onwards for Handoff to work, due to Handoff needing Bluetooth 4.0 (BT LE) to work.

From the link, to check if your Mac has the required Bluetooth to work with Handoff:

1. Click the  menu.
  2. Select About This Mac.
  3. Click on the More Info... button. (IF YOU DONT SEE THIS, JUST CLICK ON SYSTEM REPORT)
  4. Click on the System Report... button.
  5. Select Bluetooth from the sidebar on the left, underneath "Hardware."
  6. Scan down the list of information until you find "LMP Version."

If your Mac is equipped with Bluetooth 4.0, LMP Version will say 0x6. Anything lower than that is an older version of Bluetooth.

Message 26 of 26