Did you mean: 

OS X Yosemite Review with iPhone 6 use.

L_W_Ward
Level 12: Nimble
  • 625 Posts
  • 42 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Morning everyone. 

So last night I took the plung and downloaded the new OS X firmware Yosemite and by the time I woke up this morning It was ready. I know what you are thinking but my better half has the worst interenet connection in the world, I hope its unlimited.  I've got everything set up, had a play and made sure it is ready to use in my lectures (I hook up the mac to the projector) so lets see how it goes after a days use. I also plan to heavily use the handoff and continuity features with my iPhone 6 Plus and above my 20GB data limit. I will put forward a more detailed review as time goes on, I will be updating my iPhone 6 Plus review this weekend too. However here are a few of my intial points of view: BTW I'm running it on a Macbook Pro 2013 256GB thingy with lots of that ram stuff. 

Intial Thoughts and Feelings:

Its stable! very stable! no really, its stable. I've been on this thing for a few hours and not had a fault. This can only be creditied to the dev and public betas and the time it took to release. I did have access to the Beta but this is my primary machine so I wasn't ready to install it and waste ruin my work and personal machine. 

Looks AMAZING! i've seen photos and videos but this is a great improvment over previous OS's. It looks modern, fresh and clean. This may be due to my personal tastes as I am a minimalist person and this suit me like a £2000 dolla suit. (say that with an accent). Honestly this looks really good and the updated apps, Safari, iTunes etc look great with it. This truly feels like the best of the Mac OSX and IOS. I feel my Nexus 7 won't be used as much for basic household uses for a while. 

On a side note the Yosemite wallpapers look so damn SEXY! I have my own collection of wallpapers but for the first time ever I will be keeping these on my desktops. The bright colours really demonstrate the transparency effect and the clean lines look FINNNNNE on the Retina display. 

Spotlight is now a god. Seriously I'm creating a prayer and sacrifce to it and its allmighy power as it now searches everything without a need to load up the internet. I just did the typical Apple Starbucks search and its found my neaest one with the ability to call via my phone. 

Now this is all i've had to try yet but rest asured I will pair my phone with this thing and let you know how all the other features work slight_smile 

Edit: If anyone is having trouble getting Handoff and Continuity working follow the intructions in this link slight_smile Hand Off and Continuity Setup - MacRumors Forums

Edit 2: I won't be able to try out the calls and texts until IOS 8.1 is released on Monday but I will download and abuse this feature. 

iPhone 13 Pro Max 25gBG,
iPad 9th Gen,
Apple Watch Ultra,
,Airpod Pro,
Apple TV 4K,
Apple TV HD,
HomePods,
Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions
Message 2 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think the only thing I'll be disabling in the early stages is the continuity part in my MBA for calls. I don't need my iPhone , iPad Air and MBA all ringing if they are turned on. slight_smile

I agree from the limited usage so far it is stable.

I have a regular wallpaper depicting my forum name but agree they are nice.
Message 3 of 26

Cleoriff
  • 122923 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Thanks for posting your initial thoughts Liam. Quite extensive (you must have been up for hours) As @jonsie says...we will be looking forward to hearing a more in depth review later when you have the time....:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 26

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Lovely round-up Liam. Well done slight_smile
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 5 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable
@L_W_Ward

What do you think of the new icons.

Personally I feel their more elegant and crisper than OS X Mavericks.
Message 6 of 26

L_W_Ward
  • 625 Posts
  • 42 Topics
  • 3 Solutions
I think they are a work of art. Like you said much crisper, cleaner and I like the minimalism of them.

I got a glimpse of Mavericks earlier and instantly felt it was outdated. If felt like I was looking at IOS6 on my iPhone.
iPhone 13 Pro Max 25gBG,
iPad 9th Gen,
Apple Watch Ultra,
,Airpod Pro,
Apple TV 4K,
Apple TV HD,
HomePods,
Message 7 of 26

L_W_Ward
  • 625 Posts
  • 42 Topics
  • 3 Solutions
@Cleoriff I'm up early anyway. I like to get into my office around 7:45 and drink coffee, play with my Tetris lights and generally get ready to teach these people.

I'm now off to teach 2 hours of advanced research methodologies followed by three hours of Psych of human relationships..... oh boy.
iPhone 13 Pro Max 25gBG,
iPad 9th Gen,
Apple Watch Ultra,
,Airpod Pro,
Apple TV 4K,
Apple TV HD,
HomePods,
Message 8 of 26

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@L_W_Ward wrote:
three hours of Psych of human relationships..... oh boy.

O2 could hire you !!

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 9 of 26

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

@L_W_Ward wrote:

I'm now off to teach 2 hours of advanced research methodologies followed by three hours of Psych of human relationships..... oh boy.

I couldn't begin to get my head round that...way above my pay grade!Astounded

Message 10 of 26