Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 wifi - problem accessing the service via PIN code *and* the O2 Wifi app

ogilviea
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I am unable to access the O2 wifi service at any retail location where the service is available.

When I try to connect, the service allegedly sends me a PIN code via SMS, but the code doesn't arrive (waiting 10 minutes seems long enough, surely).  If I ask the service to resend the code (to the same mobile number, obviously), the PIN code does arrive this time, but using it fails with "incorrect PIN code" (or similar, I can't recall the precise message).  Repeating this (say) a couple of times, the same thing happens but, interestingly, the service claims to have sent 6 PIN codes, despite having only received 3 of them (the 3 "resends").  So where are the initial PIN codes going?

In desperation, I registered for a "My O2" account and installed the O2 Wifi (Android) app, in the hope that I could avoid the PIN nightmare, but I am unable to authenticate my account using the app (yes, I double-checked the password), the error being something like "The information you provided does not match our records".

Does anyone have any ideas what's happening here?

Message 1 of 13
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144295 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
Shouldn't matter if you're not a customer as long as it's one of the free hotspots you're connecting to.
You can email to see if they can help admin@o2wifi.co.uk
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

MI5
  • 144295 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
We've had a few reports recently of o2 wifi playing up so I'd give cs a call and see if they can reset it for you on your account.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 13

ogilviea
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks MI5.

I looked for a contact number for the O2 wifi service, but haven't been able to find one.  I'll try the main CS number 0344 809 0202.

EDIT:

Hmmm..... absolutely no way to contact someone about the O2 wifi service via their main CS number.  Menu options only cover Pay&Go, Pay Monthly, Business customers, etc.

Message 3 of 13

MI5
  • 144295 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
Just dial 202 from your o2 contract phone and then select option 2 then 0 for general cs.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 13

ogilviea
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

That could be difficult: I am not an O2 mobile customer  slight_smile

Message 5 of 13

MI5
  • 144295 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
Shouldn't matter if you're not a customer as long as it's one of the free hotspots you're connecting to.
You can email to see if they can help admin@o2wifi.co.uk

Currently using:
Message 6 of 13

MI5
  • 144295 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions

All the boring T&C's here too if you suffer from insomnia wink
https://www.o2wifi.co.uk/about/terms

Currently using:
Message 7 of 13

ogilviea
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for the email contact, MI5 - I will try that.

I've just spent 10 minutes of my life I won't get back talking to an O2 customer services representative.  First, he claimed that the service was only available to O2 mobile customers - WRONG.  Then (after consulting with a colleague) he said that the O2 Wifi app will only work if you are an O2 mobile customer - WRONG.  Then when I explained the PIN problem, he suggested that there could be something wrong with my phone.  FFS.

O2 - give some training to your customer services staff, please.  As a customer with a competitor, the quality of your customer services does not inspire me to consider moving to you - ever.

Message 8 of 13

MI5
  • 144295 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
Yep, they are pretty hopeless....
Mind you, I'm with EE too and o2 are better than that shower wink

Currently using:
Message 9 of 13

ogilviea
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

LOL!

I'll scrub EE off my list of potential future providers too then slight_smile

Message 10 of 13