cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 password updated?! Fraudulent email?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Evening All,

My father contacted me today regarding the email below which he forwarded on to me.  He claims not to have requested a new password or been in contact with O2 regarding his email account. Therefore we are concerned this might be a fraudulent email.  My father is an O2 customer, both mobile and home broadband (until the Sky take over).

Any advice welcome, thanks.

Hello stephen,

Just to let you know your password has been successfully updated.

Please use this password from now on to sign in.

Sorry, but we can't write back to you from this address, so please don't reply to it. If you need further assistance, please contact Customer Services.

Regards
The O2 Team

This email is sent from Telefonica UK Limited
Registered office: 260 Bath Road, Slough, Berkshire, SL1 4DX
Registered number: 1743099

Message 1 of 15
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous 

It looks like a phishing email but if you can provide us with the email address that email was sent from we can actually verify it.

Here you can read more information about how to detect a phishing email and what should you do if you receive one:

http://news.o2.co.uk/2014/05/29/phishing-alert-may-2014/

Hope you find this info helpful slight_smile

View solution in original post

Message 15 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23061 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

Sounds very much like a fraudulent mail. No company should be able to alter your password. Was there a link to an address in the email? If so, do not click on it under any circumstances, or try to log in with any password other than the one you normally use. If for some reason you cannot log in with your normal password, call Customer Services and let them know about the mail you've received.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 15

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

Your father needs to contact customer service first thing in the morning to find out what's going on. I notice there are no spurious links in the email so I personally would be concerned.

Get him to check My O2 to see if there is unauthorised activity if he can still sign into it. If the password has been changed, that could present a problem.

Message 3 of 15

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
Absolutely agree with the above.
Go to http://www.o2.co.uk/myo2 directly (do not follow any other links from anywhere) and see if he can log in.
If he can, ignore the email as a scam. If not call CS immediately to report it.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 15

Cleoriff
  • 122901 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Absolutely agree with the above.
Go to http://www.o2.co.uk/myo2 directly (do not follow any other links from anywhere) and see if he can log in.
If he can, ignore the email as a scam. If not call CS immediately to report it.

I think even if it is a scam @MI5 it should be reported?

I thought all large companies requested info on probable scam emails?....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 15

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions

Of course you are 100% correct @Cleoriff 

I'm sure @Toby would be only too happy to pass it to the relevant department too.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 15

jonsie
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

Good point @Cleoriff and it needs reporting if indeed it is fraudulent but we don't know as yet that it is.

Message 7 of 15

aldaweb
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

You could also check the full email headers to see where it originated. Even if the originating email has been spoofed the routing should give it away.

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 8 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for all the sound advice.  I'll get him to ring O2 customer services tomorrow.  Problem is, I doubt he knows his password to test.

M.

Message 9 of 15

jonsie
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

You're welcome. Hope all goes well and it's just a spam email but customer service will be able to see any activity on the account.

Message 10 of 15