Did you mean: 

O2 Wifi in Costa - connects but no internet

Dazzied
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi all

I've recently started to take my Macbook Pro (retina) to Costa to do some work on the weekends, my iPhone and iPad connect to the O2 Wifi without any problems, give a good internet connection and speed, but when I select the O2 Wifi SSID on the Macbook Pro (running El Capitan), it seems to connect but when trying to go to even Google, either using Safari, Chrome or Firefox, nothing happens. In chrome it says it's trying to resolve the host.

Asking at the location, the baristers say the Mac should just connect (not expecting them to give much more IT support than that, they're baristers, not IT techies).

Anyone else seen this issue? Anyone know a solution?

Huge thanks for any help

Daz

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
It sounds like it's not logging into the connection properly, but I'm not a MAC user so I don't know the process for that on a MAC.
On windows you would open a log in page normally to complete the sign in.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 15

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

Without wishing to be facetious @Dazzied, I believe you mean 'barista', unless you're planning on taking O2 to court over this with your 'barrister'. Hope you get your problem sorted out.:smileywink:

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 15

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Just connect to either your pad or phone and tether.
Why the need for 3 separate connections at all?
Message 4 of 15

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
It may be that the wifi won't allow connections to non mobile devices?
Could be seen as abusing fair use policy.
After all it is a shop, not an office.
Message 5 of 15

Dazzied
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Phone is always with me obviously, ipad and mac are usually separate visits although there ARE reasons for 3 devices, it's business.

Yes I know I can tether but why use up data allocation when there should be free wifi 🙂

Thanks for both of your replies although how will the router know that all 3 devices belong to me when there's a shop full of customers.
Message 6 of 15

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Because you sign in to the service.
The network stores sign in details and keeps a record of them. One of those details is "device ID" & another is the mobile account registered against.

I think it's something that needs adressing at costa tbh tho, I believe the end connection is their responsibility
Message 7 of 15

Dazzied
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Nope, O2 state that both mobile devices and laptops (windows and Apple) can use O2 Wifi.

It IS a shop but this is the modern world, business isn't only conducted in an office anymore.

But thank you for your thoughts on the matter 😉
Message 8 of 15

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions

@Dazzied wrote:
It IS a shop but this is the modern world, business isn't only conducted in an office anymore.

But thank you for your thoughts on the matter 😉

It's not my thoughts, it's a fact.

Message 9 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I'm having a similar problem with a Samsung tablet A, it is showing connected under WiFi settings. But when opening Chrome i get the following screen message 'web page not available (DNS probe finished no internet)'. Also tried to connect when prompted to by system notification, but that didn't work either. In settings the WiFi is using 'WiFi direct', not sure if this complicates matters?

The device is showing in O2 devices as are my other devices which work fine. 

Message 10 of 15