cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 WEBMAIL- Email still active

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

I need help because I can't work out why my o2 email address is still active and how to deactivate it.

I was O2 broadband customer and received email at one point (ages ago now) when the O2 broadband were transfering their customers over to SKY and was told to move all my emails from my O2 webmail because I would not be able to use this service anymore after a certain date. So I moved my emails and updated my email address with every website I use.....

but the mystery NOW is....When I sign into my O2 account with my username and password (on www.o2(dot)co(dot)uk )which also lets me access my active PAYG mobile phone details and then click on "Browse my O2" and scroll down the page and click on "O2 Webmail" I still can see my whole email account in its full functioning glory. I can still send and receive emails... now I am confused how that's possible when we were all told this service would no longer function after a certain date! It has been like 2 years now and my email address and the way to get an access to the webmail is still very much active!

Also just to point out I did NOT transfer my broadbdand to SKY.

Now my question is how DO I DEACTIVE MY O2 EMAIL ADDRESS? I have tried to phone O2 customer service but got no help with this issue. 

Message 1 of 45
44 REPLIES 44

Anonymous
Not applicable

Not a clue!!Horrified Is that in every option you press or just email?

Message 11 of 45

Anonymous
Not applicable

@rosado 

When I log in to o2 website using "sing in" at the top of the o2 website my browser shows a secure connection with the green padlock etc. and everything looks OK and even looking through my personal details and mobile details stays secured but when I click on the o2webmail link which is situated at the bottom of the page, it is a different story.

As soon as I click on the o2 webmail link my browser padlock changes and shows a padlock with a yellow triangle over it. Clicking on that o2 webmail link lands me straight on the page with my emails. The real dodgy bit starts when one starts to explore that column on the left next to the emails ..........

............Now on to that bit where Google Chrome saved my ass (lol) ..... 

.....I can't exactly remember which parts were dodgy because I was panicking a bit because the warning happened twice but I think the section"my business account" woke up my web browser security. To be honest I wondered what was in that section in the first place. Then I carried on and I got burned again but can't remember what part of the section I clicked on that occasion but again Chrome warned me and stopped me accessing that page. 

The only thing I can properly remember not causing any issues were the mobile bill and personal details sections. I actually looked at these sections when I first signed into o2 because it opens on that page where one can see a mobile number and other personal details and then later when I accessed the webmail and saw the options there again in the left column I clicked on it there again just to see if there was anything different in those links but everything looked the same without any alarm bells ringing. 

I don't even understand why that O2 Webmail section is still advertised on O2 website to be accessed in the first place when the webmail was meant to be dead and buried by now!!! 

oxygen 1.jpg

Message 12 of 45

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well the unsecured connection is probably because of the service not being in use anymore...my guess!

Can you access my online accounts?

Message 13 of 45

Anonymous
Not applicable

I wouldn't even try to guess what is going on with that webmail. One thing for sure is that it is very much accessible for me, my email address is still working and I would like to have it closed. 

If there is anyone on here reading this who can still access their O2 webmail and has their email working, please let me know. It would be nice not to feel like I am the only one.

and rosado - I am pretty sure you can access your online accounts yourself. I wouldn't know where to start (lol).Thank you for your replies. Very much appreciated!:smileyhappy:

Message 14 of 45

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144145 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions

I'm going to call @browni as I believe his is still working and may be able to better advise you.....

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 15 of 45

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 

That's super kind of you,MI5. Your help would be very much appreciated. 

Thank you very much slight_smile

Message 16 of 45

browni
Level 21: Regular
  • 2241 Posts
  • 35 Topics
  • 10 Solutions

Still working here although AFAIK there isn't a way to delete an O2 email account.

Clicking on 'My Online Accounts' throws the error messge 'Error code: ssl_error_ssl_disabled' from server registration.o2.uk/broadband...

That just means that my browser is protected against the POODLE vulnerability by disabling SSL and that server hasn't been updated to TLS, Not surprising really as neither O2 or Sky will take ownership of the legacy of O2 email (web based or otherwise)

ETA the email server is mail.o2.co.uk and that is properly updated,

#siwy
Message 17 of 45

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6966 Solutions

Thanks for confirming that there is no way to delete the account and it makes perfect sense that the server hasn't been updated....

Message 18 of 45

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you very much for your explanation,browni slight_smile

I hope I am not going to be here this time next year with my webmail still working (lol). 

Message 19 of 45

Anonymous
Not applicable

I did not transfer to Sky, did not have any communications from them or O2 about email but I set up a gmail account in case the O2 mail disappeared when I changed braodband provider.  However, I can still access my O2 email account to receive and send as I have always done. 

Message 20 of 45