Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Open Code

Karen196446
Level 1: Joiner
  • 13 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I work for the nhs and have just brought the new samsung galaxy s7 edge i went to the o2 open website and read faqs which say

What's the deal, in simple terms?
O2 Open gives customers 25% off airtime plans with 3GB or above data and 15% off airtime plans below 3GB. This is across all Refresh 24 month Pay Monthly voice and Mobile Broadband tariffs.

but o2 says it does not apply to samsung galaxy s7 or s7 edge phone.

Message 1 of 73
72 REPLIES 72

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122368 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@PhoneDoc wrote:
Just to clarify, O2 Open cannot be applied retroactively on the excluded handsets. If they allow O2 Open to be used from the start of may, only those who purchased the handset from the start of may onwards will be eligible.

@PhoneDoc I stand corrected then. I knew it had to be applied within 30days of start of contract except with some flagship phone exclusions. I thought they made exceptions later with the restricted phones. Possibly the op can apply the code after the weekend then as the S7 wasn't officially released till March 11th?

Or if they have an old O2 phone apply the discount to that and carry it over to the S7 wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 11 of 73

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
The S7 isn't on the official faq tho so I would still be inclined to send the text.
Message 12 of 73

Cleoriff
  • 122368 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@viridis wrote:
The S7 isn't on the official faq tho so I would still be inclined to send the text.

There aren't any phones showing on the current FAQ's...so as I said earlier it may well work after the weekend?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 13 of 73

PhoneDoc
Level 14: Rising star 
  • 278 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@PhoneDoc I stand corrected then. I knew it had to be applied within 30days of start of contract except with some flagship phone exclusions. I thought they made exceptions later with the restricted phones. Possibly the op can apply the code after the weekend then as the S7 wasn't officially released till March 11th?

Or if they have an old O2 phone apply the discount to that and carry it over to the S7 wink

Unfortunely there's no way to get around it 😞 We're not usually told when the phones will be eligible for O2 Open until a few days prior, and I imagine this won't be for another couple of weeks. At these launches you always get customers asking "Can I not just get the phone, take my chances it'll be allowed in the next month, and then apply?" - the Open team will check the date the contract was taken out however, and not apply the discount if the date was before the embargo was lifted. I doubt that old phone trick would work either but fair play Smiley Very Happy

@Bambino wrote:

That doesn't sound like a very fair policy to me. Customers are penalized and can't get a discount that they would be entitled to normally because they want a phone when it's released, rather than wait? Sounds like a bit of O2 greeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed to me.

It is quite fair. I'm sure part of it is to do with profit, but mostly it's to mitigate any potential stock shortfalls for new devices that will be in high demand. O2 Open is an employee perk, and not something every customer will be entitled to. It would be a bit hard to swallow, going into a shop to upgrade, knowing you're not eligible for the discount, only to be told there's no stock left because of people who are. If it helps, O2 staff can't upgrade to these devices for a similar time after launch either.

Message 14 of 73

Cleoriff
  • 122368 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@PhoneDoc... so in order to help this OP ....could you confirm whether there actually is a bar on the S7? It doesn't actually specify any model exclusions in the FAQ's.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 15 of 73

PhoneDoc
  • 278 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@PhoneDoc... so in order to help this OP ....could you confirm whether there actually is a bar on the S7? It doesn't actually specify any model exclusions in the FAQ's.

Sure. Neither the S7 or S7 Edge are currently eligible for O2 Open. Except for human error on the part of the open team, only S7/Edge contracts taken out after the embargo is lifted, will be able to apply the discount.

I'll post back in this thread and tag you all when it becomes available (if I remember). Failing that, your local store will have the most up to date information

Message 16 of 73

Karen196446
  • 13 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

This is why i put the post out because i was told when ordering the phone i would beable to apply o2 open code now for some reason o2 have changed there minds.

Message 17 of 73

PhoneDoc
  • 278 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

Was this via LiveChat, Customer Services, or in store Karen?

Message 18 of 73

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@PhoneDoc wrote:

I'm sure part of it is to do with profit

As soon as you wrote that, @PhoneDoc, you shot yourself in the foot. It isn't partly to do with profit, it's everything to do with profit. If O2 managed their stock ordering correctly there would be ample numbers of phones available for those who are eligible and those who are not (apart from iPhones as Apple deliberately withhold stock to create buying frenzies). This has nothing to do with me personally, as I buy my phones sim free and use sim only contracts, but for those who a discount would make a significant difference in their monthly costs, the policy, in my opinion, is discriminatory.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 19 of 73

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
That^^
Message 20 of 73