Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Email/Webmail to close?

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

I don't know what is going on here and I'm not sure I believe it, but a thread has appeared elsewhere saying that O2 Webmail will be closing at the end of the year according to an O2 Web Chat advisor.

Maybe Chiara could check this out as people using this service may need to make other arrangements. 

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/o2/4259681-o2-to-close-all-webmail-accounts-by-november-2nd-2013.ht...

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 1 of 231
230 REPLIES 230

Anonymous
Not applicable

Perksie, thank you for that clarification regarding storage reduction.

As O2 email only ever had 20MB of storage and I heard that Sky Broadband users would be retaining O2 email accounts, I assumed that Sky and O2 had conducted some sort of transaction to reduce the email storage space.

In any case, it is pure evil to remove such a huge amount of storage, let alone any storage at all.

Message 221 of 231

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

These were the previous storage limits on O2 Webmail:

How much email storage do I have?

You'll have plenty of storage to save and manage your emails. Here's what our different users get:

• O2 Home Broadband primary users get 1GB of storage
  • O2 Home Broadband secondary users get 200MB of storage
  • O2 website users without any O2 Home Broadband associations get 20MB of storage

More on the closedown here:

http://www.o2.co.uk/o2email

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Message 222 of 231

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

As O2 email only ever had 20MB of storage and I heard that Sky Broadband users would be retaining O2 email accounts, I assumed that Sky and O2 had conducted some sort of transaction to reduce the email storage space.

The decision to shut down O2 email was not directly related to the sale of O2 Broadband. O2 email existed long before O2 sold home broadband, and could continue forever if they chose.

Migrants to Sky get a Sky mailbox of course, but I'd still recommend Gmail anyway.

Message 223 of 231

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

They have put this forward in order to carry on using O2 Email:

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/Login-as-username-email-could-divert-messages-f...

Message 224 of 231

Anonymous
Not applicable

I moved to Plusnet in June 2013 and continue to use my O2 email account at it is already set up in my windows mail account on my computer. If I reply to an O2 email it comes from my O2 email account but otherwise Plusnet. I have not had any emails from O2/Sky with regard to concellation of o2 email account, and do not use o2 mobile although my mobile operator uses o2 lines.

Message 225 of 231

aldaweb
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

I would suggest that you take steps now to migrate any subscriptions to your o2 email address to an alternative before O2 mail is closed completely.

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 226 of 231

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I moved to Plusnet in June 2013 and continue to use my O2 email account at it is already set up in my windows mail account on my computer. If I reply to an O2 email it comes from my O2 email account but otherwise Plusnet. I have not had any emails from O2/Sky with regard to concellation of o2 email account, and do not use o2 mobile although my mobile operator uses o2 lines.

I heard nothing either and my o2 email still works. I also moved to Plusnet a year ago. I moved all links to o2 email address that companies etc, had. I get mainly spam now. I freshly set up my o2 account on Outlook when I got it for my new PC. As there seems to be no way to actually delete the email address (it is what was my primary o2 account) from o2, I think now I'll just delete the account from Outlook.

Message 227 of 231

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm a long-time O2 customer who was forcibly shifted to Sky broadband. I have thus far continued to use my O2 email address, as it would be horribly inconvenient to have to change; some online survey sites that pay via Paypal won't allow a change, and of course one's Paypal login is one's email address.

Up to today, I have had no major problems. Today, though, I am unable to retrieve any email. My husband tried sending me a test mail from his work computer, and even that has not arrived. The help page referred to further back in this thread just goes to an error message.

What's going on please? Has the O2 email service been pulled out from those of us who had to migrate to Sky with no warning? If so, what has happened to any mails that have been sent to me but I haven't yet recieved?

The last information I had was that O2 broadband/email customers who had to migrate to Sky would be able to continue using the O2 co.uk email address, though with limited storage. Neither my husband nor I have heard anything different, so if this has been done without even telling us, I shall be very upset.

Message 228 of 231

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144356 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
Yes, from the sky help pages they suggest you can continue to use your O2 email address although I'm not sure how it works and it is been administered through Sky now, not O2, so you'd be better off contacting Sky for help now.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 229 of 231

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm a long-time O2 customer who was forcibly shifted to Sky broadband. I have thus far continued to use my O2 email address, as it would be horribly inconvenient to have to change; some online survey sites that pay via Paypal won't allow a change, and of course one's Paypal login is one's email address.

Up to today, I have had no major problems. Today, though, I am unable to retrieve any email. My husband tried sending me a test mail from his work computer, and even that has not arrived. The help page referred to further back in this thread just goes to an error message.

Mine still works in both directions. As I mentioned I went to Plusnet a year ago.

Regarding Paypal, you can change your email address for Paypal, make it the default and then log on with that new address. I set up a gmx address back along and changed Paypal to that one then later reverted.

Message 230 of 231