cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving abroad

Anonymous
Not applicable

My contact is due an upgrade next month. I am planning to move to Australoa in 6 months time so don't want to get out a lengthy contact that I won't  be able to use when away. Can you suggest anything. I really want to upgrade my phone as it's pretty old and cracked. Is there anyway of getting a short contact or extending my current one with an upgrade till I go? I assume there is no way of using my contract while abroad?

Thank you

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144334 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Yes, you can use your contract when abroad if you use Tugo over a wifi connection.
O2 only do 24 month (standard) refresh contracts but it means you can pay the phone off at anytime and upgrade early.
Link to apps inc Tugo here http://www.o2.co.uk/apps
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
  • 144334 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Yes, you can use your contract when abroad if you use Tugo over a wifi connection.
O2 only do 24 month (standard) refresh contracts but it means you can pay the phone off at anytime and upgrade early.
Link to apps inc Tugo here http://www.o2.co.uk/apps
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
But I won't be able to make calls when out and with no wifi?
Message 3 of 7

MI5
  • 144334 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
You could if you used a local sim card with a data allowance. Tugo will work over a data connection too but to be cost effective it would have to be a local sim with data allowance included.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 7

MI5
  • 144334 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Obviously, you would have to get your new phone from O2 unlocked to do this.
Details here http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/Unlocking-an-O2-phone-to-use-a-different-SIM-ca...

Currently using:
Message 5 of 7

MI5
  • 144334 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
You could if you used a local sim card with a data allowance. Tugo will work over a data connection too but to be cost effective it would have to be a local sim with data allowance included.

Thinking about it, this is the most cost effective way for you.

Your local contacts could call you on the local sim and you call them but UK friends and family can call on your O2 number which will be free for them and you, so the only additional costs will be the cost of a monthly local payg sim card.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 7

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23071 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

If your move abroad is permanent, you're not going to want to keep paying for a contract here. Get a one month sim only contract and buy a sim free unlocked phone. When you're ready to move, cancel the sim. You can then use the phone with an Australian sim.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 7 of 7