cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile Dongle

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,
I'm a student and my home internet is unreliable and often very slow which makes it hard to complete work. I have discussed with my Mother getting better internet but it has always been met with hostility and I've finally decided to just find another way to be able to have a reliable internet connection when at home for my laptop. I normally just use my mobile phone as a wifi hotspot but as you can probably guess this is getting very expensive for me. I was wondering if dongles would be any better or cheaper?
Many thanks.
Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143455 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
If you can get enough data for sensible money they are OK but are not a substitute for fixed broadband.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

MI5
  • 143455 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
If you can get enough data for sensible money they are OK but are not a substitute for fixed broadband.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 4

AJ1982
Level 3: Thinker
  • 49 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
This might help you out a bit. Way back in 2010 I was off work due to ill health, I didn't have any internet and as I couldn't walk very well I didn't want to just sit looking at four walls all day so I picked up a wifi dongle from 3 PAYG and bought £15 of data a month and I used it for around 8/10 hours a day for playing Call of Duty black ops on Xbox 360 lol! Surprisingly it worked quite well. Even had an open NAT type, something I've never had on either BT or Sky since then. Overall it was decent even for back then I'd imagine they'd be much faster these days.
Message 3 of 4

MI5
  • 143455 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Yes, other networks offer different options.
EE do a package for £50 a month and Three's is now £25. Like I said it's dependent on finding one to suit but o2 don't offer sufficient data quantities to replace fixed BB in my opinion.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 4