O2 Community

Get help, share tips and chat

Other Products & Services

Level 2: Apprentice
aidanf

Mobile Broadband Connection Problem

Hi there,

I live in the Brighton area and I have an O2 mobile broadband dongle. I received an e-mail about three weeks ago about a software update for Connection Manager which was legitimate. Ever since I downloaded it, I haven't been able to connect to 02-UK.

I've been in the 02 store twice and they've replaced both the sim card and the dongle, still nothing. Other wi-fi networks are showing up fine just not the 02 one. The dongle just flashes a light blue colour.

The 02 helpline told me that there was network problems and these would be fixed within a day or so but still nothing. It's been nearly a month and considering canceling the service as it's £20 a month for nothing.

Is anyone else experiencing the same problems? Or can anyone help with this problem please?

Cheers
Please use plain text.
cmcbugg

I had a similar problem too. Basically the O2 connection manager was not finding my dongle (and hence not detecting the O2 3G network, only other wifi networks). I suspect this was because I was swapping between a three and O2 dongle and therefore had multiple dongle configurations (can also happen if you plug the dongle into a different USB port from the one you originally used).
If you go into Network Connections on your computer (from Control Panel), and switch to detailed view - look under Device Name - and if see something like:
HUAWEI Mobile Connect - 3G Modem #1 or
HUAWEI Mobile Connect - 3G Modem #2 etc.
then you probably have multiple dongle configurations which seem to confuse the O2 Connection manager software.

I fixed this by going to
Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager/Modems and then deleting the
HUAWEI Mobile Connect - 3G Modem #1 (#2) etc.

NOTE: you need to delete the current modem setting - then plug the modem into any other USB port you previously used and delete that config too (ie it may be #1, #2, #3 etc)

After that I deinstalled the O2 software from Add/Remove programs - and reinstalled the software (the new version which I downloaded from the website, not the software on the stick) - and it started to work again -- ie it could detect my O2 3G and wifi networks again.
Please use plain text.
aidanf

Cheers for that cmcbugg, I'll give it a go this evening.
Please use plain text.
cmcbugg

[ Edited ]
Cheers for that cmcbugg, I'll give it a go this evening.

ps - for me the problem kept arising everytime I switched to the three dongle, so now I just use the Huawei mobile partner software instead of the O2 connection manager and don't have any of these problems

For my E169 modem I downloaded it here - you may have a different modem model.
http://www.huawei.com/mobileweb/en/doc/ ... -1&id=4381

BUT be advised: running this software seemed to overwrite the O2 software on the dongle and only leave me with the Huawei software (not a problem as you can download the O2 software from their website) - also I don't know what O2s T&Cs say about not using their software.
Please use plain text.
Level 1: Joiner
pmarsh42

Thanks for posting I am having the same issues with my MC930

Hi,

Updated Connection Manager from V3.2.R2 (312)- Driver Version 9.01.21 to the latest version and could not detect the the O2 3G signal (which is strong in my area)although the light on the dongle said it was present (light blue). Contacted o2, they advised me disconnect the dongle and to un-install the new Connection Manager software completely (Control Panel remove mobile "Internet Options" then "remove programs" a) Mobile Broadband Drivers and b) o2 Connection Manager. Next reboot. When fully booted attach the dongle and install the original software.

When I used the new software after a second clean install I also received an error message that the SIM was not recognised.

I will stay with the original software, the o2 guy was extremely helpful it's a shame o2 don't thoroughly test their new software!

Happy connections
:smileyvery-happy:
Please use plain text.
aidanf

Still no joy on this. Tried all of your tips. Thanks to everyone who gave advice.

Apparently the o2 store in Brighton has a guru who knows all about Mobile Broadband but since I work during the week and he's no doubt swamped in store on weekends, it's fairly tough to see him.

Does anyone have any other suggestions or could tell me if O2 is reasonable when it comes to finishing contracts early?

Cheers
Please use plain text.
aidanf

Just an update on this topic.

Dropped into the O2 store and met with the "guru". He was able to sort out the problem but setting up a dial-up connection for my account. Same cost as before, same limits, seems to be slightly faster as well. Really helpful and I would recommend anyone who has the same problem that I did to bring their dongle and laptop into the store. It only took five minutes and my internet connection is perfect (so far).
Please use plain text.
perksie
Topics: 229
Solutions: 1,536

Curious what you say about dial up being faster without Connection Manager.

I have been trying it out over several days without the dongle, via my O2 Wireless Box II and my speed drops by about one third.

Switch back to Windows wi-fi software and speed returns to normal.

Any ideas as to why this should be are welcome.
Please support the Disasters Emergency Committee appeal to send help to the Philippines.
Text DEC to 70000 (free text) to donate £5 or online: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Legacy O2 Simplicity 20 - O2 Wallet - Nexus 4 Android 4.4.2
Please use plain text.
aidanf

That's strange. Saying that, it may just seem faster as I've been using another mobile broadband network that shall not be named (rhymes with Borange...) for the past two weeks and this has been terrible.

Download speeds seemed to be up and there was no freezing when uploading pages like there was when I was using O2 before.
Please use plain text.
Level 1: Joiner
cellarmedic

o2 dongle update for the connection manager.

I had the same problem when i updated the connection manager. I must admit the customer service was good and resolved the problem.
Please use plain text.