Mast(s) Down

Harryzac
Level 1: Joiner
  • 22 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello,

Before I make this post, I just want to say that I have looked at this thread:

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Self-help-guide-Is-the-network-down-for-me-or-ev...

and I have also used the O2 Service Status checker. I have also run a search on these forums for anyone else who have had these issues.

I moderate a large forum myself so I know that it can be frustrating when people keep posting the same issues and it gets really repetitive so I hope I'm not being a nuisance Smiley Embarassed.

I have moved into a flat in the past few weeks, and since I first started to move into the flat, I have never been able to get any coverage, whether it be mobile internet, calls, texts: anything. I looked at the service status page for my postcode and got the message: 

"[Amber Signal Icon] Sorry a phone mast in this area isn't working
This means your service might come and go until we fix it.
Updated 23:00 (refreshed hourly). Recent faults might not show yet."

I also downloaded the coverage app and noticed that there are quite a few masts that don't have an amber signal icon, but a red one too. I thought "OK, so O2 probably know about this and are fixing it". About 3-4 weeks later, the issues were still not fixed and I wasn't receiving any coverage. Again, I checked and the same situation was happening on the service status page. Still amber for my postcode and a few reds around it. Therefore, I used the coverage app on my mobile to report an issue for my postcode. 

To this day, over a month later, I am in the same situation. Could not a single one of these masts be fixed? I know that I can use TuGo, but I have to wait until the 19th to get connected to any WiFi so I'm pretty isolated here. If I get any important texts or calls in my flat, what am I to do? I can't sit in Starbucks all day!

I haven't included my postcode here for security reasons: not sure if anyone would need a postcode to investigate.

Thanks in advance for your help - I hope I don't annoy anyone too much! slight_smile

Harryzac

There are two types of people in this world: those who crave closure,
Message 1 of 60
59 REPLIES 59

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144313 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Not good news 😞
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 41 of 60

Harryzac
  • 22 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I've just compiled a document with dates/times of when I've contacted them, experienced the issue first (turned out to be the week beginning 21st July 2014!) and any other things I may need if I ever do file a complaint.

I don't like complaining but I don't feel like O2 understand that when a mast doesn't work, it can affect people's lives since we are so dependent on mobile technology nowadays. Maybe a more transparent service status page would be helpful (e.g. what's actually been done/why there's a delay). If I was given a legitimate specific reason, then I'd be more content.

Harryzac

Message 42 of 60

jonsie
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

I think if you pursue this you will have a good case for leaving the contract without penalty. Three months is a ridiculous amount of time to repair or replace a mast.

Message 43 of 60

Harryzac
  • 22 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Okey dokey so the status was still green and I got a phone call from O2 yesterday (which I obviously missed since I have no service). I rang back and they said they don't know why they rang but maybe the signal issue was because my flat has thick walls. Tested it outdoors and was still getting no signal. Rang back and explained, where I was finally forwarded to the Networks Team who told me that I was literally in the middle of a tiny strip with poor service (despite this not showing up on the coverage maps). Pretty poor for London considering I'm very close to the centre of the city.

I have written a letter that I'm going to send to O2 tomorrow because it's pretty ridiculous that I have to pay so much money for me to not use any of it since my phone is rendered useless. My friend who's on Three has pefect signal so it can be fixed, but O2 just seem to be stubborn to do anything more than tell me "there's nothing we can do about it". I need to be able to receive important calls and texts on time and at the moment it's not right at all.

I am a patient person and I am rarely this angry at a company but it's very, very disappointing.

Again, will keep you updated!

Harryzac

Message 44 of 60

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

Thank you for your update.

Unfortunately the Coverage Maps are for indication only.

When someone comes here and the discussion is on joining or leaving O2 or moving house we always suggest unlocking the phone to all networks which is free for contract customers ,and try out an O2 Payg SIM card or alternative network SIM card where they live, work and commute to check signal, as O2 do have this in their Terms & Conditions that their service is not fault free and is not available everywhere.

I wish you well with your letter (send it recorded) and it may be well worth using the complaint link ,again I paste it here http://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain/complain ,and good luck.

I hope for a reasonable outcome for you.
Message 45 of 60

jonsie
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Good luck with the complaint, others have been successful in leaving their contract without penalty in similar circumstances so I hope things work out for you.

Message 46 of 60

Harryzac
  • 22 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I am not a happy bunny. I sent a letter and got a quick reply by email (I'll give them that) that was far from satisfactory. I stated very clearly that I have used the O2 service checker and a timeline of events, only to get back a generic response:

"It's your walls"; "your mast is working fine"; "you are receiving good signal" plus many more frustrating responses that I've heard for the upteenth time by O2.

My blood pressure is slowly rising...

Harryzac

Message 47 of 60

MI5
  • 144313 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Ask them for a deadlock letter then go to the ombudsman with it......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 48 of 60

Anonymous
Not applicable

Im in exactly the same situation.....for over 3 months the network status has shown "hign demand in your area" and yesterday it changed to "network issues".

I have sent a complaint to O2 simply for the reason i would like to know if they have a legal obligation to repair/replace faults within a dedicated time and what this time is.

I fully understand nowehere has 100% signal and issues do arise but surely they have a duty of care to a paying customer to provide a decent level of service?

Message 49 of 60

Harryzac
  • 22 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

They gave me an email address in their reply which I could email the O2 Complaints Review service. I didn't hesitate. tongue

Harryzac

Message 50 of 60