Mast(s) Down

Harryzac
Level 1: Joiner
  • 22 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello,

Before I make this post, I just want to say that I have looked at this thread:

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Self-help-guide-Is-the-network-down-for-me-or-ev...

and I have also used the O2 Service Status checker. I have also run a search on these forums for anyone else who have had these issues.

I moderate a large forum myself so I know that it can be frustrating when people keep posting the same issues and it gets really repetitive so I hope I'm not being a nuisance Smiley Embarassed.

I have moved into a flat in the past few weeks, and since I first started to move into the flat, I have never been able to get any coverage, whether it be mobile internet, calls, texts: anything. I looked at the service status page for my postcode and got the message: 

"[Amber Signal Icon] Sorry a phone mast in this area isn't working
This means your service might come and go until we fix it.
Updated 23:00 (refreshed hourly). Recent faults might not show yet."

I also downloaded the coverage app and noticed that there are quite a few masts that don't have an amber signal icon, but a red one too. I thought "OK, so O2 probably know about this and are fixing it". About 3-4 weeks later, the issues were still not fixed and I wasn't receiving any coverage. Again, I checked and the same situation was happening on the service status page. Still amber for my postcode and a few reds around it. Therefore, I used the coverage app on my mobile to report an issue for my postcode. 

To this day, over a month later, I am in the same situation. Could not a single one of these masts be fixed? I know that I can use TuGo, but I have to wait until the 19th to get connected to any WiFi so I'm pretty isolated here. If I get any important texts or calls in my flat, what am I to do? I can't sit in Starbucks all day!

I haven't included my postcode here for security reasons: not sure if anyone would need a postcode to investigate.

Thanks in advance for your help - I hope I don't annoy anyone too much! slight_smile

Harryzac

There are two types of people in this world: those who crave closure,
Message 1 of 60
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Harryzac and a warm Welcome to the Community Forum,

Your not being a nuisance at all and I can appreciate your frustration.

Your postcode is not necessary as we as fellow customers would just use it to check against the Service Status page that you've already checked out.

Unfortunately O2 do not give real time repair updates on their masts wether they are being upgraded or repaired. Factors such as manpower, parts,weather and in some situations permission to access land will all play a part.

This is within o2's T&C regarding the service not being fault free, available everywhere and that they'll fix masts as quickly as possible.

O2 are currently updating their Network to improve the connectivity along with 4G. http://www.o2.co.uk/connectivity/network-coverage/the-next-big-thing

However, 3-4 Weeks is a very long time not to have any resolution with signal. The longest I've had is approx two weeks of intermittent signal ~ but at least I had some form of connection albeit patchy.

Yes Tugo , Whatsapp and Viber are viable alternatives if WiFi is available.

We have known O2 to provide a Goodwill Gesture when the masts have been repaired but obviously this does not help you at the moment.

You could contact O2 Customer Services to make your situation known and logged on your account.

All the ways to contact them is here http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus and you can make this more official here http://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain/complain

At the moment all you can do is to keep checking the Service Status page and reboot your phone when it's eventually showing as Good.

If your phone is unlocked to all networks then another interim option is to use another Networks Sim card who's signal is good and set any calls to your O2 mobile number to be directed to your other network number.

Call Diverts : http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/srvs/cgi-bin/webcgi.exe?New,KB=Companion,question=ref(user):str(Mobile),C...

Not the best alternative but one you could consider.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 60
59 REPLIES 59

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Harryzac and a warm Welcome to the Community Forum,

Your not being a nuisance at all and I can appreciate your frustration.

Your postcode is not necessary as we as fellow customers would just use it to check against the Service Status page that you've already checked out.

Unfortunately O2 do not give real time repair updates on their masts wether they are being upgraded or repaired. Factors such as manpower, parts,weather and in some situations permission to access land will all play a part.

This is within o2's T&C regarding the service not being fault free, available everywhere and that they'll fix masts as quickly as possible.

O2 are currently updating their Network to improve the connectivity along with 4G. http://www.o2.co.uk/connectivity/network-coverage/the-next-big-thing

However, 3-4 Weeks is a very long time not to have any resolution with signal. The longest I've had is approx two weeks of intermittent signal ~ but at least I had some form of connection albeit patchy.

Yes Tugo , Whatsapp and Viber are viable alternatives if WiFi is available.

We have known O2 to provide a Goodwill Gesture when the masts have been repaired but obviously this does not help you at the moment.

You could contact O2 Customer Services to make your situation known and logged on your account.

All the ways to contact them is here http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus and you can make this more official here http://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain/complain

At the moment all you can do is to keep checking the Service Status page and reboot your phone when it's eventually showing as Good.

If your phone is unlocked to all networks then another interim option is to use another Networks Sim card who's signal is good and set any calls to your O2 mobile number to be directed to your other network number.

Call Diverts : http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/srvs/cgi-bin/webcgi.exe?New,KB=Companion,question=ref(user):str(Mobile),C...

Not the best alternative but one you could consider.
Message 2 of 60

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143448 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
There are many users all over the country in the same situation, sadly.
My local may still not back to full function for almost a year now. ?..
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 60

Harryzac
Level 1: Joiner
  • 22 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Ok thanks for the reassurance (and the welcome!).

I just find it astonishing that there are so many masts around my that aren't working, indicating that O2 haven't been fixing them for some time!

I'll just have to contact customer services and then sit an hope. 😛
Harryzac

Message 4 of 60

Anonymous
Not applicable
You're welcome.

I'm hopeful things will improve for you ASAP.
Message 5 of 60

Anonymous
Not applicable

You should call customer services on 202 to report it , since you have done all the basic searches and you know its not your sim or your phone, they can try to get more information about the outage, like estimated fix time and what the problem is. Also the more customers ring to report the better, so that the repair will have a higher level of priority and once the outage is fixed since there will be notes on the account it will be easier to give you a refund(not a good will gesture) forthe loss of service.Hope this helps.

Message 6 of 60

Harryzac
  • 22 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Great, thanks. I contacted O2 using the live chat this morning and confirmed that the mast is being replaced and that it might be useful to ring O2 using the 202 number as well. I will do so immediately once I move into an area with signal.

Thanks so much to everyone who helped me! slight_smile

Harryzac

Message 7 of 60

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122378 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Harryzac wrote:

Great, thanks. I contacted O2 using the live chat this morning and confirmed that the mast is being replaced and that it might be useful to ring O2 using the 202 number as well. I will do so immediately once I move into an area with signal.

Thanks so much to everyone who helped me! slight_smile

Good and bad news then @Harryzac ...but at least now you have some sort of answer...

Hope it gets resolved soon wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 60

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes thank you for the update.

Frustrating as it is at least you have further information.
Message 9 of 60

Harryzac
  • 22 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

^Yep! slight_smile

I have just come off the phone from ringing 202 and they told me that the mast issue's nature means that they don't have an estimated date written down but O2 are aware of the issue. 

She wrote down my details for when it's fixed, and said that I should keep ringing just to get an update as to when it will be fixed. Online support told me its date is 8/9/14, but the lady on the phone told me there's no date so I'll give it until midweek next week and see where it goes.

I'll update this thread when I get any news in case anyone else out there wants to know how to go about dealing with mast issues if they're clueless like me! D'oh!

Harryzac

Message 10 of 60