cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet Explorer 9 no longer supports my O2, why?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I can't access my O2 anymore because IE9 no longer supports my O2, why? I get a message telling me to upgrade my browser, I'm using IE9 on Vista and am perfectly happy with them, your changes mean I can no longer pay my bill online.

Message 1 of 38
37 REPLIES 37

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92919 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Your choice obviously if you feel so strongly about it but please try other network free sims to make sure the coverage is good.

Message 21 of 38

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

If you have a suitable phone you can download MyO2 and check your account there.

Cancelling your contract is not an option unless it is at an end, or you would have to pay any outstanding balance.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 22 of 38

Anonymous
Not applicable

Madchef is right, if it isn't broken why fix it?

I own 2 motorcycles, both built in 1978, both work absolutely fine, just because Yamaha bring out a new model it doesn't mean the old ones stop working.

In the meantime, what are O2 going to do about my issue? (probably sod all), if I upgrade my browser then there's all sorts of issues about passwords getting lost, favourites vanishing etc etc, a whole load of aggro because of some techie who has no comprehension that some of us were born without iphones in our hands.

Message 23 of 38

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
It's for your own security.
I guess you'd be happy with a system full of viruses and easily hacked, but I know I wouldn't !
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 24 of 38

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

In the meantime, what are O2 going to do about my issue?

The problem is with an out of date operating system, it's not their job to support such a system.

Passwords and Favourites should be backed up so you can restore them.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 25 of 38

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous,

I'm Toby, the O2 Community Manager. Welcome!

As some have said here, websites and the way they function in different browsers are often analysed and updated if there is a chance that a page or process on the site will be more secure. I can definitely understand why this can be frustrating when one is so used to a certain browser of version of browser, but it is for everyone's benefit in the long term.

If you like, I'm happy to have a chat with via private message about browser updating. (click here)

I'll also talk to the rest of the team about this topic and how it can affect certain customers such as yourself.

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 26 of 38

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

This is absolutely stupid - I am very happy with the system I use and am probably too old to try to use something new.  I don't want to upgrade I just want to be able to get on to My O2 as I did last month and all the months before.  It looks like my only option is to cancel my contract with O2, which in itself will be no bad thing.  It if ain't broke don't mend it and as far as I am concerned what I'm using ain't broke!

Your choice but you really are aiming your anger at the wrong party. A web browser displays the web page according to it's rendering software - If the browser isn't updated then new ways of doing things won't work and pages become incompatable or display incorrectly. By simply downloading firefox or chrome you whole internet experience will be inproved not just on the O2 website. O2 clearly have used new techniques in the webpage which IE can't cope with - it's not O2s fault.

Message 27 of 38

Anonymous
Not applicable

OK so I accept very reluctantly that I'm going to have to upgrade my browser to get stuff to work, I don't want to but hey ho....

How do I get the computer to remember all my login details for all websites & forums etc that autofill has saved and then transfer over to my new browser, similarly with my favourites? I've tried using User accounts - Manage network passwords but it just diplays a blank page.

I'm still trying to get to grips with why when the computer industry updates itself, everything has to be year zero - completely new? Any other industry that treated it's customers in the same way would soon go out of business but with computers it seems to be not just tolerated but celebrated?

Message 28 of 38

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Just update to the latest version of IE and everything will still be there as it is now.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 29 of 38

Anonymous
Not applicable

No good, IE9 is as far as you can go with Vista.

Message 30 of 38