cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help getting the right plan for my trip to america

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi... I am going to the u.s.a for a holiday and was wondering what would be the best package or plan 

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

O2 do not offer any plans that are beneficial for you in the US. The best option is for you to make sure your phone is unlocked, and get a Three Pay & Go sim which will cost you around £20 and enable you to receive calls and texts with no extra charge, and call and text back to the UK on the tariff allowance you purchase. It also allows you to use whatever data you buy with no extra roaming charges. For calls within the US you can then get a local Pay &Go sim from T-Mobile or AT&T.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 16

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

If you are on contract you can use Tu (formally Tugo) over wifi which will allow you to use your phone exactly as you would in the UK (using your allowances) which means calls and texts to and from the UK are free.
Local calls to USA would be charged at the normal international rates though. http://www.o2.co.uk/apps/tu-go

You can also use Tu over mobile data, so if you chose a Three or a US local sim for data, it could be used and people would only need to call your normal UK number to reach you.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi thank you for the reply's. I am on a sim only plan the now, and my phone is unlocked, so maybe the three sim card would be the best option, 

Message 4 of 16

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Do both. Get your Three sim (don't forget to buy the "all in one add on") and install Tugo on your phone before you leave.
You've covered all your options with no horrendous costs that way.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 16

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

I agree ^^^ You then get the best of both worlds. Just be aware that using TuGo over WiFi is the best (and cheapest) way to use it.:smileywink:

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 6 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all for your help and advice, I am going to get the three sim card with the add on and install tu go 

Message 7 of 16

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

Just be aware that using TuGo over WiFi is the best (and cheapest) way to use it.:smileywink:

It won't cost any extra to use Tu with the Three sim as all data (25gb anyway) is free after you have bought the add on.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 16

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Some great advice for there guys ! @Anonymous Were abouts in America are you visiting? 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 9 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi marton-02
I am going to new York in august for a week
Message 10 of 16