cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going Abroad

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,
I'm going abroad to Bulgaria for two weeks and I plan on taking my phone with me. I'm on a £33 a month tarrif that includes a bolt on of 'standard rates in Europe'
I'm just wondering what this includes as I can't find much information about it, like does the texts, calls etc come out of my contract, am I charged extra to text back to the UK?
Also as it is the first time I'll be taking this phone abroad with O2, there is no charge to take it abroad is there?
Thanks
Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Your allowances are only for use in the UK so all calls and texts from Bulgaria are chargeable.

There is no charge for taking your phone abroad.

Rates are here : http://international.o2.co.uk/internationaltariffs/travelling_abroad#

We always recommend switching off mobile data and using wifi where possible.

Using apps such as Whatsapp, Viber and Messanger over wifi is the free option for texts and calls or if you download TuGo, calls and texts will come from your allowance if you use it over wifi.

Landlines - per minute18p
Mobiles - per minute18p

Receiving calls - per minute4.8p
Sending texts - per message5p

Cost per MB of using data

Data usage19.6p / MB*

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Your allowances are only for use in the UK so all calls and texts from Bulgaria are chargeable.

There is no charge for taking your phone abroad.

Rates are here : http://international.o2.co.uk/internationaltariffs/travelling_abroad#

We always recommend switching off mobile data and using wifi where possible.

Using apps such as Whatsapp, Viber and Messanger over wifi is the free option for texts and calls or if you download TuGo, calls and texts will come from your allowance if you use it over wifi.

Landlines - per minute18p
Mobiles - per minute18p

Receiving calls - per minute4.8p
Sending texts - per message5p

Cost per MB of using data

Data usage19.6p / MB*
Message 2 of 7

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
You might be better off switching to O2 Travel
https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/international/using-phone-in-europe
Text O2TRAVEL to 23336 to activate.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 7

Cleoriff
  • 122347 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi...

As said previously there is no charge for taking your phone abroad.

However, if this is the first time it may be a good idea to ring Customer Services to let them know.

I travel abroad frequently and I informed O2 the first time (they made a note on my account)

Everything went smoothly and now they know I travel often... I just carry on as normal and I am connected as soon as I land with no problem...

PS I have also recently discovered the absolute joy and freedom of using WiFi.....as mentioned by jonsie and MI5 Smiley LOL

Enjoy your holiday...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just to reiterate @jonsie's comment about data.

You may want to turn your MOBILE DATA OFF to avoid high charges. If you use a smartphone it will use data in the background. At approx 20 per mb that would soon ratchet up.
Message 5 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi @AnnScatterood and Welcome to the Community Forum,

All fantastic advice by the guys here.

I would like to add that as it's free to contract customers to unlock their phones to all network SIM cards via https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help?qid=1&q1=2&route=unlocking&case=Handset%20Unlocking%20Form I'd suggest perhaps you do this just incase difficulties occur whilst abroad with network connection etc, so at least using a Local Sim Card is an option.

Enjoy your trip. slight_smile
Message 6 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Brilliant guys!
Welcome @Anonymous ! Let us know if you have any questions, as you can see this is a great place to share and to get advice. So we hope to see you around slight_smile Remember to return to your discussion to mark a post as a solution if you found one! You can find that button on each reply you receive. Enjoy your holiday!
Message 7 of 7