cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excessive Increase in Mobile Data

Anonymous
Not applicable

Samsung Galaxy S5 Neo

Last two months I have had a huge increase in data usage. From average of 130mb per month out of my 500mb allowance, it soared to.... for June, it was was 564mb and July it was nearly 600mb.  First 2 days of this month it was 202mb total. Nothing had changed, I am practically housebound so phone is connected to WiFi 24/7. I wasn't using any social media more than usual nor other apps. O2 gave me a bolt-on of 500 mb until this was sorted, which they haven't been able to,so far.  All they keep doing is to tell me to switch off Mobile Data. I never did before nor have done on the last 3 Samsung phones I have had from O2.... that's not solving the problem nor telling me why the usage has gone so high.

I went back to when this excessive usage first began around 15th/16th June (O2 told me that was when the usage went up, but couldn't tell me why.) so I worked it out to being either when 4g first started in this area and I'd also downloaded the app Android Pay about this time too.

I have turned off 4g and also Android Pay and my usage has dropped way back down to what it was. A very rude & obnoxious O2 advisor tried to tell me that 4g did use a bit more data usage, maybe it does but not to the tune of 400%-500%. 

If it is either one of those apps causing the increase, I will be pretty annoyed if it is the 4g.  Not too bothered with Android Pay but not having a phone that can use 4g is poor. I should have kept my other phone instead of updating.

Message 1 of 49
48 REPLIES 48

Anonymous
Not applicable

Download booster was turned off anyway.

I'm not seeing how that would affect the massive increase in data usage. I want to know why it has happened when absolutely no change has been made to the phone.

Message 41 of 49

Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess it's going to be one of those mystery questions which has no answer.

Message 42 of 49

Anonymous
Not applicable

We have all told you to turn off your mobile data. Take off all inessential apps & your usage will tell you what's using it so that's what you need to do then tell us conclusively what exactly is using the data 

Message 43 of 49

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144066 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Download booster was turned off anyway.

I'm not seeing how that would affect the massive increase in data usage. I want to know why it has happened when absolutely no change has been made to the phone.

Download booster only works with 4g and you said the issue coincided with 4g being turned on in your area, so it makes perfect sense and would have explained the issue.

I get the feeling there is more to this than is immediately apparent?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 44 of 49

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think I am going to call this a day. 

Thank you for your help...

Message 45 of 49

Cleoriff
  • 122764 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

You have given yourself the solution @Anonymous? As far as I am concerned this problem isn't solved??

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 46 of 49

MI5
  • 144066 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
Please do let us know what solved it for you?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 47 of 49

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd like to know that too. What actually solved it?

Message 48 of 49

jonsie
  • 93149 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions
Message 49 of 49