cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't believe the marketing

Anonymous
Not applicable

I love all this hilarious marketing guff that O2 comes out with about "upgrading the network", "connectivity" and "free wifi". Sadly, real life is often far less glamorous.

Sat in Debenhams, Coventry today next to a big sign that said "free O2 WiFi". 

So I get out my Windows Lumia 1020 (on an O2 contract) and try to connect to the wifi service. Not a chance. 30 seconds of nothing followed by a message like "The WiFi service is not responding in a timely manner" or some such claptrap. Rebooted but still no joy. Thought about using 4G but then noticed I didn't even have a mobile signal! What a joke.

Meanwhile, wife and son are happily connected to the service, surfing away. Both of them on iPhones. Both on EE (with a full signal, I might add). Both of them sniggering at my inadequacy.

Oh, and the penalty for me daring to try to connect to the internet - 10% battery life lost in as many minutes.

It's like I'm using a phone from 1998.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
I concur

I got a text from O2 saying if I connected to O2 wifi I'd be put into a prize draw.😊

So in MacDonalds I try.

After being kicked out and then connecting the page I was surfing to just timed out even tho the wifi signal was showing as full on my iPhone 6 plus. 😔

BtWifi connected swiftly and gave me decent speed.
Message 2 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm afraid this is being replayed across the country and is a key reason why I will be off to either Vodafone or EE at the end of my contract.
Message 3 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Fantastic just started 24 month contract. O2 sent me an email the other day boasting about how "we're working to make our network better than ever" and they "have been busy spending £1.5 million a day" they can't even pay £6.95 to get their deliveries to customers.
Message 4 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Fantastic
Message 5 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Well this all sounds pretty good for O2....I don't think.....

Mind you I suppose it all depends where you are. A gang of us were in Somerset in November. Two on O2 .... Two on Vodaphone....Two on EE....The two on O2 (of which I was one) were the only ones who could get a signal. .....I actually could use the internet. My friends had to use my phone if they wanted to make a call...

Surprised us all if honest.....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 9

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
they "have been busy spending £1.5 million a day"

I've yet to find any data in the published financial figures which confirm that.

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 7 of 9

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Funnily enough, Debenhams coventry is the only place I've had issues with the wifi.
Trying to load up an online euro quote (better rate) and could I get it to load? Could I bleep
Message 8 of 9

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
And it's a dead zone for 4/3 or even 2g
Message 9 of 9