cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cost after contract is finished

Anonymous
Not applicable

My 2 year contract has just ended, as I understand it the cost per month was for the device and the airtime combined, so now that the 2 year period is up surley I have paid for the phone and should only be paying for the airtime??

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12053 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1122 Solutions

It depends where you got the contract from.
o2 are the only place to get contracts like you mention (called refresh).
Everywhere else it is a standard contract - ie, you pay a combined amount for the device and the airtime and continue to do so after the 2 years is up.
If you want to keep your device and just have an airtime contract you will now need to get a sim only deal.
Not sure if these are only through o2 though...

Edited - looks as if you can get SIM only deals through 3rd parties (only checked Carphone Warehouse) but to do so with them you need to go in store...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

gmarkj
  • 12053 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1122 Solutions

It depends where you got the contract from.
o2 are the only place to get contracts like you mention (called refresh).
Everywhere else it is a standard contract - ie, you pay a combined amount for the device and the airtime and continue to do so after the 2 years is up.
If you want to keep your device and just have an airtime contract you will now need to get a sim only deal.
Not sure if these are only through o2 though...

Edited - looks as if you can get SIM only deals through 3rd parties (only checked Carphone Warehouse) but to do so with them you need to go in store...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Message 2 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah ok I didnt realise that.

I got the phone from mobiles.co.uk which is part of carphonewarehouse so that would explain it.

If im going to still be paying the same then I may as well get a upgrade.

Thanks for your help slight_smile

Message 3 of 9

gmarkj
  • 12053 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1122 Solutions
It depends on if you want a new phone or not.
The SIM only deals will be cheaper if you are happy with your current phone.
You would just need to take out a new contract for one of those (either 12 month or 30 day) and get customer services to swap your number over once you have it (the new sim).
Only issue with this is you will pay for some cross over period...
Or you could get a whole new contract with a new phone as well (as you say...)

Message 4 of 9

PhoneDoc
Level 14: Rising star 
  • 278 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

You shouldn't have to take out a new contract for a sim only upgrade, you could just do a straight upgrade from O2s website after logging in to MyO2. This way the bill will be pro rata, so there's no double billing 

Message 5 of 9

gmarkj
  • 12053 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1122 Solutions
Didn't realise you could do it through My o2. Thanks!

Message 6 of 9

PhoneDoc
Level 14: Rising star 
  • 278 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 21 Solutions
No worries @gmarkj
Message 7 of 9

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122787 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@gmarkj wrote:
Didn't realise you could do it through My o2. Thanks!

This is how I was going to do mine. ...then I chickened out (lol) and did it over the phone. I am very keen advocate of speaking to humans Smiley Very Happy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 9

Getafix
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 25 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
If you are moving to 12 month SIM plan, you could do this earlier then you Contract Expiry date. Just go to an O2 shop or call them to agree the new Contract.

And if you are still undecided about a Handset, then you could move to 30 day SIM plan. And Upgrade whenever you are ready.
Message 9 of 9