cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change of email address issues

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good evening,

I'm trying to change my email address but cannot seem to find any obvious place to do it.  I've changed my username/login to my new email address but I'm still receiving my emails to my old address.  I've tried live chat but it seems that I manage to connect, sometimes I even get a 'Hi how can I help?' message, and then a 'chat not initialised' error is displayed and that's the end of that.

I understand that the email address forms part of your account, but if I can get someone to change it on my behalf, which is what seems to be the case based on stuff I've read on other forums, then why not make this function available to us?

Perhaps I'm just missing the obvious.  Can I change it via the website? I am currently unable to ring, so this is getting a bit frustrating.

Any help anyone can give will be appreciated.

Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93176 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Such a simple thing and so much trouble now. Sometimes it makes you wonder if they change these things just for the sake of change.

Message 21 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable
I agree @jonsie
Message 22 of 31

browni
Level 21: Regular
  • 2241 Posts
  • 35 Topics
  • 10 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Why do O2 remove things like this from the users control they are just creating more work for themselves and annoying customers in the process

Possibly because they don't offer an email service anymore?

#siwy
Message 23 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable
But this is for the user to change their email address on their O2 account I can't see what that would have to do with O2 not offering email support anymore although who knows slight_smile
Message 24 of 31

browni
  • 2241 Posts
  • 35 Topics
  • 10 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
But this is for the user to change their email address on their O2 account I can't see what that would have to do with O2 not offering email support anymore although who knows slight_smile

From the OP " I've changed my username/login to my new email address but I'm still receiving my emails to my old address. "

#siwy
Message 25 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes that's the problem browni it changes the username but it doesn't change the email address stored with O2 it used to me a user Changeable thing but now it's not
Message 26 of 31

browni
  • 2241 Posts
  • 35 Topics
  • 10 Solutions

I think I may have read it wrong.

Be interesting if it's an old broadband account with email still active though...

#siwy
Message 27 of 31

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

It's the two cats at the entrance pretending to be guarddogs that bother me.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 28 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable
Evening!

In answer to some of the points raised, I can say that I've tried live chat a few times throughout the day, but I think it may be an issue with the computer I'm using. I can't find anything obvious. Security settings seem fine, and all the java settings etc also all seem good.

Regarding email address changing, I'm on an old(ish) hotmail.co.uk (maybe 4 or 5 years old?) account and am trying to change it to a brand new hotmail.com account, so there shouldn't be an issue with that. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, it's accepted the new address as the login name, it just doesn't seem to update the actual address used for email correspondence, such as my monthly bills and O2 special offers etc.

I've emailed @Toby, and he's looking into it for me. If I get something positive back I'll let you all know.

It does seem to be a shame that we can't update it ourselves, especially as if I could contact the live chat guys they could do it for me, but I guess it is what it is.
Message 29 of 31

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144153 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
I still suspect this to be a potential security safeguard.
If someone got your log in details and changed your email address they could potentially divert any account change info to themselves and you may be no wiser to any attempted fraud until the damage was done......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 30 of 31