cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calling 0300 numbers from your O2 mobile

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Ids anyone able to tell me why '0300' numbers are prohibited from being called on your mobile phone with O2?

These '0300' numbers were brought in apparantly to replace the '08' numbers that cost an absolute fortune to call on a mobile. The '0300' numbers should come out of your allowance and basically not cost you a penny - but when speaking with an O2 advisor I was told that using these numbers could lead to 'disconnection of your account'. Why? She said that she could not comment when I stated 'but Offcom supports this number usage?'.

Whats going on O2 - why are you going against rules and regs and not helping out your customers in a time when 'free' numbers are a godsend pn a mobile phone?

You can see details here: http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/c/345,349,355/a_id/10424 and http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/files/2010/01/numbering.pdf - You can see that Offcom clearly states that:

"

Many organisations use 03 numbers as an alternative to more
expensive 08 numbers.
How much do calls cost? Calls cost no more than calls to geographic
numbers (01 or 02) and must be included in inclusive minutes and
discount schemes in the same way. Calls from landlines are typically
charged between 2p and 10p per minute; calls from mobiles typically
cost between 10p and 40p per minute. Calls from landlines and mobiles are included in
free call packages."

So does this beg the question as to why O2 have to be different and hold such a forceful way of stopping you using these new numbers?

Someone please tell me?

Thanks

Carrie

Message 1 of 58
57 REPLIES 57

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122117 Posts
  • 823 Topics
  • 7456 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:
Numbers and charges are easily availabe....

Or taken directly from the link provided by @MI5 ....

Calls to 03 numbers will cost the same as other standard fixed line numbers (starting 01 or 02), and are included as part of any inclusive or free minutes allowances on O2 tariffs.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 31 of 58

jonsie
  • 92812 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6909 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@jonsie wrote:

Calls to 03 numbers will cost the same as other standard fixed line numbers (starting 01 or 02), and are included as part of any inclusive or free minutes allowances on O2 tariffs.

But why is a link needed. ...sometimes I despair. Eyes ears and mouth ffs

Message 32 of 58

Cleoriff
  • 122117 Posts
  • 823 Topics
  • 7456 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

@Cleoriff wrote:

@jonsie wrote:

But why is a link needed. ...sometimes I despair. Eyes ears and mouth ffs

FearFear I know...but I was just trying to be 'ever so helpful' tongue

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 33 of 58

jimthing0
  • 412 Posts
  • 23 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi,

Have a read of the conversation transcript and see if I misunderstood what they told me:

Carrie: Hi Jo, Can you tell me please how much it costs per minute to call an 0300 number on a monthly contract phone?

Jo: Let me check this.

Carrie: thanks

Jo: Carrie, this number is free and will be deducted from your allowances, but please don't call this number, this is against our terms and conditions.

Carrie: ??

Jo: Calling this number may lead to your account disconnection.

Carrie: that doesnt make sense? Why is it against your terms and conditions?

Jo: Customers call these numbers because they accrue a calling credit for each hour that they call the 03 number to enable them to make ‘Free’ calls to a country such as India or Pakistan. So, for example, a customer may make 4 calls at the same time to 03300 3XXXXX  and they will accrue 10 minutes of calling time for each hour dialled.

Jo: These customers are breaching 6.3.d of our Consumer T &C’s – You must not use or permit anyone else to use the service to generate Artificially Inflated Traffic.

Carrie: How comes the Offcom supports this number as a replacement for o8 numbers as they cost a fortune to phone from a mobile?

Jo: I am sorry I won't be able to comment on this, as this is against O2 terms and conditions, and calling this number may disconnect your account.

???

Thanks slight_smile

I think the O2 Customer Service agent, and everyone here AFAI have read, have this completely mixed up... 

The number above the O2 CS told you is not an 0300 but rather an 03300 number, hence being entirely unrelated to 0300 freephone numbers which come out of allowances, as per 01/02's. These 03300 must be a "special" ripping-off number, but NOT the 0300 freephone numbers

...and yep, HMRC bought me here too... one question to sit on hold for 45mins for, like: "is it 'UK interest'  or 'UK Other income' I put the figure in...?" type-of mass time-waste online tax return form phonecall questions?!?!?! 

Message 34 of 58

jonsie
  • 92812 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6909 Solutions

MI5
  • 143182 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions

@jimthing0 wrote:

I think the O2 Customer Service agent, and everyone here AFAI have read, have this completely mixed up...  

Perfectly understood by me.

03 numbers come out of your mins allowance or are charged at standard rates.

From the link that was previously asked for by another customer:

Ofcom has introduced 03 numbers as an alternative to chargeable 08 numbers e.g 0870.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 36 of 58

jonsie
  • 92812 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6909 Solutions

The operator was obviously talking about routing the call to bypass the network operator to make international calls.

Message 37 of 58

MI5
  • 143182 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions
Yes indeed. I think that's already been mentioned on the thread. There are some "calling card" numbers that do this and are explicitly banned by O2 but not standard 03 numbers and esp not HMRC numbers.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 38 of 58

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
I call an 02 number for skype and call overseas as I have 60 mins free from skype per month. Never been a problem
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 39 of 58

Cleoriff
  • 122117 Posts
  • 823 Topics
  • 7456 Solutions

I am more confused about @jimthing0 replying on a 3 year old thread. Lots of rule changes between now and then...Smiley Embarassed

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 40 of 58