cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calling 0300 numbers from your O2 mobile

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Ids anyone able to tell me why '0300' numbers are prohibited from being called on your mobile phone with O2?

These '0300' numbers were brought in apparantly to replace the '08' numbers that cost an absolute fortune to call on a mobile. The '0300' numbers should come out of your allowance and basically not cost you a penny - but when speaking with an O2 advisor I was told that using these numbers could lead to 'disconnection of your account'. Why? She said that she could not comment when I stated 'but Offcom supports this number usage?'.

Whats going on O2 - why are you going against rules and regs and not helping out your customers in a time when 'free' numbers are a godsend pn a mobile phone?

You can see details here: http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/c/345,349,355/a_id/10424 and http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/files/2010/01/numbering.pdf - You can see that Offcom clearly states that:

"

Many organisations use 03 numbers as an alternative to more
expensive 08 numbers.
How much do calls cost? Calls cost no more than calls to geographic
numbers (01 or 02) and must be included in inclusive minutes and
discount schemes in the same way. Calls from landlines are typically
charged between 2p and 10p per minute; calls from mobiles typically
cost between 10p and 40p per minute. Calls from landlines and mobiles are included in
free call packages."

So does this beg the question as to why O2 have to be different and hold such a forceful way of stopping you using these new numbers?

Someone please tell me?

Thanks

Carrie

Message 1 of 58
57 REPLIES 57

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi guys,

Just to clarify, adamtemp64's link leads to the correct info on which numbers cost what.

@BugBum: Please send me a private message and I can give you a hand with this.

Cheers, Toby

It looks like you landed on a popular topic that many are viewing!

Why not register to our community to be able to ask related questions if you need additional help, and interact with other members?

See also here some information on how to get started with the community and what other great things you could do here as a member. Smiley Happy

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 11 of 58

Anonymous
Not applicable

I used to call an 0300 number on my mobile all the time, because the local branch of Remploy is on an 0300 number.

Message 12 of 58

Anonymous
Not applicable

0300 numbers (and 0330, 0333) were rolled out by Ofcom to be companion numbers to your traditional 01 or 02 local area numbers. They are treated in exactly the same manner like 01 and 02 numbers, in that:

• They cost the same as a call to an 01 or 02 numbers, or
  • They are free to call if you have inclusive minutes, whether on contract or pre-pay

The same is true whether you're calling from a mobile (any UK network) or landline.

Perhaps the OP had run out of inclusive minutes?

Message 13 of 58

Anonymous
Not applicable

hahaha

That O2 livechat was hilariously stupid. I found myself on this thread because HMRC's Tax Helpline is an 0300 number. 

Message 14 of 58

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143186 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

hahaha

That O2 livechat was hilariously stupid. I found myself on this thread because HMRC's Tax Helpline is an 0300 number. 

Did it help with your problem or can we help you some more?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 15 of 58

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

hahaha

Which comes out of your call allowance, are you having a problem with it?

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 16 of 58

Anonymous
Not applicable
Can we help you
Message 17 of 58

Anonymous
Not applicable

Looks like the OP is calling a certain type of 0300 number, not used by a charity/business/landline service but a service provider who then keeps his telephone number connected for 2,3,4 hours at a time in exchange for a little time for international calling.

In other words, its aimed at circumventing international dialling charges, whilst falsely inflating network traffice, which is the most applicable Ts and Cs breach. 

It can eventually result in termination of contract.

EDIT: And it looks like the web chat advisor was bang on the money with it too...

Message 18 of 58

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
@pablo

Yes the circumvention if that is what the op was doing but the op never said they were using that type of service so we can only answer on facts in front of us.

I wish that ofcom would prevent the 03 range being used for these services.
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 19 of 58

Anonymous
Not applicable

@adamtemp64 wrote:
@Anonymous

Yes the circumvention if that is what the op was doing but the op never said they were using that type of service so we can only answer on facts in front of us.

I wish that ofcom would prevent the 03 range being used for these services.

Yep the OP didn't, but if you read the webchat transcript you see the webchat advisor specifically talking about a certain number and then saying what I said myself.

I'd bet proper money on this being the case.

Message 20 of 58