cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calling 0300 numbers from your O2 mobile

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Ids anyone able to tell me why '0300' numbers are prohibited from being called on your mobile phone with O2?

These '0300' numbers were brought in apparantly to replace the '08' numbers that cost an absolute fortune to call on a mobile. The '0300' numbers should come out of your allowance and basically not cost you a penny - but when speaking with an O2 advisor I was told that using these numbers could lead to 'disconnection of your account'. Why? She said that she could not comment when I stated 'but Offcom supports this number usage?'.

Whats going on O2 - why are you going against rules and regs and not helping out your customers in a time when 'free' numbers are a godsend pn a mobile phone?

You can see details here: http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/c/345,349,355/a_id/10424 and http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/files/2010/01/numbering.pdf - You can see that Offcom clearly states that:

"

Many organisations use 03 numbers as an alternative to more
expensive 08 numbers.
How much do calls cost? Calls cost no more than calls to geographic
numbers (01 or 02) and must be included in inclusive minutes and
discount schemes in the same way. Calls from landlines are typically
charged between 2p and 10p per minute; calls from mobiles typically
cost between 10p and 40p per minute. Calls from landlines and mobiles are included in
free call packages."

So does this beg the question as to why O2 have to be different and hold such a forceful way of stopping you using these new numbers?

Someone please tell me?

Thanks

Carrie

Message 1 of 58
57 REPLIES 57

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144145 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
Not as far as 03 numbers are concerned, but yes, resurrecting old dead threads is not a good idea.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 41 of 58

Cleoriff
  • 122799 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Not as far as 03 numbers are concerned, but yes, resurrecting old dead threads is not a good idea.

I just meant in light of changes that took place with numbers last year...to refer to the op which is 3 years old is just a bit random in my opinion....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 42 of 58

jonsie
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6966 Solutions

yes an old thread with old information but the confusion lay asking a simple question of live chat who went off at a tangent for an unrelated issue.

Message 43 of 58

Cleoriff
  • 122799 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Yes I saw that... (wish I'd never mentioned it now)....Rolleys

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 44 of 58

MI5
  • 144145 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:
to refer to the op which is 3 years old is just a bit random in my opinion....

Yes, I was agreeing with you.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 45 of 58

Cleoriff
  • 122799 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

@Cleoriff wrote:
to refer to the op which is 3 years old is just a bit random in my opinion....

Yes, I was agreeing with you.

LOL I have caused more confusion by expressing my confusion....Zipped Just zip it Cleo...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 46 of 58

MI5
  • 144145 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
Random, but advisable tongue

Currently using:
Message 47 of 58

jimthing0
Level 8: Talented
  • 412 Posts
  • 23 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Oops old thread opened. But again no one is actually reading the DETAIL of what I actually said! 

To repeat... 

The number above the original O2 CS agent told you is not an 0300 but rather an 03300 number, hence why they got it completely wrong: 

01/02/03

- landline: from plan time or per min if no plan (depending on provider). 

- mobile: from inclusive mins, then per min. 

- landline: freephones, no charges at all (upto 1h, then just redial, I believe?). 

- mobile: from inclusive mins, then per min. 

03300 = 

(see below)* 

084/087/089

- landline: some are inc. of plans, most not (depending on provider).

- mobile: outside of inclusive mins (i.e. access charge+per min connection charge). 

- landline: freephone, no charges at all (upto 1h, then just redial, I believe?). 

- mobile: freephone, no charges at all (upto 1h, then just redial, I believe?). 

- landline: premium (0.50p to infininte(!) per min) at all times. 

- mobile: premium (0.50p to infininte(!) per min) at all times, and same number usually more for mobiles too! 

* One use of 03300 numbers are basically call queuing numbers. You dial it, giving them the number you want THEM to sit on hold on a busy queuing system (eg. at HMRC, lol!) for you, they then dial the number and queue for you, then call you back when connected, adding additional premium charges to your final mobile bill.

The legitimate companies (using that term rather lightly, as they're really sharks that under present rules can charge high 09 prices for their 'service' through 03 numbers!) are supposed to legally advise of the cost during the beginning of said call. If they don't (many are sharks, as said, and operate outside UK borders), then the phone companies often chase them through Ofcom or whoever to them get removed from network access. 

I think that basically sums it up. Hope this helps clarify things. 🙂 

Message 48 of 58

MI5
  • 144145 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
Crystal wink

Currently using:
Message 49 of 58

jonsie
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6966 Solutions

Too complicated for me, I will just carry on using 0300 numbers from my allowance LOL

Message 50 of 58