cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boost Box (Femtocell)

Anonymous
Not applicable

O2 has a Boost Box available but they restrict their use to Business customers.  Why?

My husband and I both have monthly contracts, we have been with O2 for many many years but still we cannot give out our mobile numbers as we cannot receive when home.  We either cannot make calls - although we pay for large amounts or unlimited minutes - but cannot make calls a lot of the time.  When on calls, the reception can drop or be really iffy.  The answer of O2: well, too bad!  We pay for a service which they do not provide most of the time but we need to pay more by getting a socalled 'business' account, so as to resolve 'their' problem.  What does that say about customer service?  Please O2, if you are listening, do try to help.  This gadget cost at most 50£ and we are ready to pay for it, so what does O2 lose in selling it to us?  Nothing, but gaining good will and the satisfaction of satisfied customers and repeat business.  Please, O2, listen!

Message 1 of 37
36 REPLIES 36

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

The problem is that many of the generic signal boosters are illegal to use in this country.

Message 21 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable
I agree if someone wants to pay for one of o2's or a generic one then that avenue should be available.

what's illegal about using one ?
Message 22 of 37

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
The use of some of these boosters is a criminal offence - There was a case recently in Swindon where the networks investigated a signal issue and found an illegal booster in someones house - They were subsequently jailed for owning the device.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 23 of 37

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

The problem is that many of the generic signal boosters are illegal to use in this country.

And many are worse than useless as my son discovered...:smileysad:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 24 of 37

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
I agree if someone wants to pay for one of o2's or a generic one then that avenue should be available.

The fact is that the avenue isn't available and we shouldn't advise people to just go out and buy one unless they are very certain of the legality of a device. Some information from Ofcom :

http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/phone/mobile-phones/coverage/mobile-repeaters/

Message 25 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The fact is that the avenue isn't available and we shouldn't advise people to just go out and buy one unless they are very certain of the legality of a device. Some information from Ofcom :

http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/phone/mobile-phones/coverage/mobile-repeaters/

I don't believe I was 'advising' for a person to just go out and buy one. 

I mentioned that the "avenue should be available"

Just wanted to clarify the point. 

Message 26 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
The use of some of these boosters is a criminal offence - There was a case recently in Swindon where the networks investigated a signal issue and found an illegal booster in someones house - They were subsequently jailed for owning the device.

That's serious then.

Dont happen to have a link to that do you ?

Message 27 of 37

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
You would also need to apply to Ofcom for a broadcast license, which you wouldn't get !!
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 28 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe if the networks were to finally sort out their 2G and 3G coverage rather than concentrating on 4G people tied into contracts wouldn't have to be forced into this option.

Message 29 of 37

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Maybe if the networks were to finally sort out their 2G and 3G coverage rather than concentrating on 4G people tied into contracts wouldn't have to be forced into this option.

Nobody or anything forces you to contravene legislation, it is personal choice.

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 30 of 37