cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto-conversion of long SMS messages to MMS - Network stipulation?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello! Nice to be here Drum

I finally took the jump back to O2 after 8 years on Orange, after much debate and research... So far I'm gobsmacked with the increase in signal strength in my area. I can actually take a call IN MY HOUSE! This may not seem such a landmark for many of you, but by jove you don't understand how much of a convenience that is.

Now, to my point!

I've done the updates etc. and automatically changed the settings as the alerts arrived, turned on and off etc. and all is good to go.

However - I just went to send a trademark lengthy SMS message to someone and after what I'd say was 2 SMS lengths, the phone changed and flagged "Converting to MMS...".

I've figured out now that a little smiley I put in was counting as around 3 full SMS's - the same little smileys that had been counting as single characters on Orange in the same standard messaging application.

Can I about this and why this is?

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

You're welcome from us all  

I don't see the network changing its stance on mms being part of your normal text allowance.

Their is a bolt on you can purchase that gives 50mms for £5.11 = £0.10p each just use one of the alternatives to mms.

Add our MMS Bolt On to your package and get 50 picture or video messages at the reduced price of 10p per message to use each month.

https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/tariffs/bolt-ons
Message 11 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 122906 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

I could be wrong but I was under the impression that the default smilies...(the horrible little green ones on my Samsung S3) were free??

I thought if you added others via Play Store etc, then you were charged for these?

I am hoping one of our Android experts is going to rock up soon and let me know if indeed that is the case wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 12 of 16

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144313 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27664 Solutions
If it's graphical it will be a significant number of characters, 70 to 90 depending on phone and type of smilie... 🙂 etc are just counted as single characters but some phones will convert these into slight_smile
The horrible little green Samsung ones are just single character count - It's all a bit of a minefield and you have to keep your eye on the sms character count to be sure.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 13 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Bandofbrothers,

My query was really in the setup of SMS messages rather than having MMS messages included in text allowances, as I know they're send in entirely different ways, but even still I would consider that bolt on so thanks for the info!

In a strange twist of events... the default Android smileys are now counting as 2 characters! I'm not sure what's been resolved, but I'm not complaining either and I now have only positives to say about my O2 experience so far Happy Dance

It's a homecoming really, porting my old trusty "07921" number back home after 9 years Hug

Cheers!

Message 14 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
And welcome back too. slight_smile
Message 15 of 16

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144313 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27664 Solutions
Just keep an eye on your character count - Keep it below 480 and you'll be fine for sending as SMS....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 16 of 16