cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another Legacy Broadband O2 Email account still active

Anonymous
Not applicable

I know all the old email accounts should have been deactivated but my old O2 broadband email account is still running and working and what's worse I think it's been hacked as I@m getting lots of delivery failed emails from random addresses.

I haven't been with O2 broadband for over 5 years and never moved it to Sky but just want to get this account deactivated.

Tried speaking to live chat with no luck and they said to call. Tried calling but was stuck in a queue for over 30 minutes anbd gave up.

Anyway to get this sorted as I'm not happy having an email account with my name in it spamming. Strangely the password hasn't changed but I've read on these forums of others having these delivery notifications as well.

Message 1 of 16
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

That sounds like the deactivation hasn't been processed correctly.

As I transferred to Sky broadband, I can still access my main O2 email account via webmail although the secondary account is deactivated.

You could try contacting Sky (they now own the servers that the email account is on) and explain the problem but I don't hold out much hope of a positive reponse, Sky will probably tell you to contact O2.

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

You won't get any joy having the account deleted I'm afraid. Best advice is to change the password to something impossible to crack and it should become deactive. 

Message 2 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Problem is that there is no way to change the password. As there's no access via webmail I can't log in to change it and being an old broadband account it's not linked to my mobile phone account.

Message 3 of 16

Beenherebefore
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

That sounds like the deactivation hasn't been processed correctly.

As I transferred to Sky broadband, I can still access my main O2 email account via webmail although the secondary account is deactivated.

You could try contacting Sky (they now own the servers that the email account is on) and explain the problem but I don't hold out much hope of a positive reponse, Sky will probably tell you to contact O2.

Message 4 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Reading others with similar problems it sounds like Sky don't even have access to the old O2 mail servers and are just redirecting people back to O2.

Overall a very poor show and looks like if there's no way to deactivate then I'll just have to delete from ym phone and try and forget about it slight_frown

Hope it doesn;t come back to haunt me some day...

Message 5 of 16

Beenherebefore
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

Well if Sky don't have access then O2 must have because somebody is paying for the running and maintenance of those servers.

Of course !....Sky use Yahoo email servers so it's possible that the old O2 email servers may have been transferred over to Yahoo management.

Message 6 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

The O2 mail servers are owned and operated by Telefonica.

Message 7 of 16

Beenherebefore
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

The O2 mail servers are owned and operated by Telefonica.

Welcome back @Anonymous .........if so then O2 are still responsible.....which they have denied on several occasions according to posts on here !!

Message 8 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello again. slight_smile

I can't answer that. All I know is that the email accounts were not transferred to Sky's servers or Yahoo's servers, the email servers are still operated by Telefonica. Certainly Sky are in no technical positions to shut accounts down if they do not operate the servers.

It's a messy situation really. Ideally everyone's email account would have been given a cease date regardless of their broadband status, at which point all of Telefonica's email servers could have been shut down.

Message 9 of 16

Beenherebefore
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Ideally everyone's email account would have been given a cease date regardless of their broadband status, at which point all of Telefonica's email servers could have been shut down.

Well that's not happened as I can still send and receive using my main O2 email address via webmail.....last I read, so could brownie.

Doesn't surprise me though knowing the skill qualities possessed by some of the O2 operations depts. 

Message 10 of 16