cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazon Fire text messages being converted and CHARGED to multimedia messages

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am disgusted with the complete lack of customer support I have received, over christmas I sent out numberous text messages on my amazon fire phone wishing my friends and family a merry christmas. As I have unlimited text messages as part of my package I foresaw no problems occuring. I couldn't have been more worng!

On Boxing day I received a message on my phone informing me I had gone over my text message allowance and now owed an extra £30.00 on top of my bill. As it was boxing day I wanted until the next day to contact O2 customer support, when the next day came and I phoned O2 I was informed I now owe £45.00 on top of my bill! It turns out my text messages we're converted to multimedia messages, I wasn't given any warning nor was informed it might happen prior to purchasing the phone! I was given a wide range of excuses as to why this could happen including: sending more than 2 text messages at one time, sending a contact, to sending a smilly face!

Customer services would only say that they have passed it over to the network investigation team and I would have to wait a few days for their decision. A few days passed and I called again only to discover it could take up to a week for someone to get intouch with me, and I should await their call / e-mail. After A WEEK AND A HALF I called again and the Network Investigation Team had made the decision that all charges we're valid and hadn't bothered to let me know.

I was then informed to send a complaint to the Complaint Review Service via e-mail informing them of everything that had happened to me. This I did on the 5th January, I have been waiting 21 days for a reply! I was orginally informed it would take three working days for someone to get intouch, then seven working days, after fourteen I requested customer services get intouch with the Complaint Review Service, or if I could have their number niether of these we're possible as Customer Services dosn't have the contact details for the Complaint Review Service. I have never been treated with such a complete lack of customer service in my life. O2 are after one thing YOUR MOMEY and are more than happy to scam you out of it!

Message 1 of 49
48 REPLIES 48

Cleoriff
  • 122826 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

You can add up to 10 recipients to a group message. Group messages will be sent as MMS.
Copied above from Amazon Fire User Guide

Can I ask @Anonymous  Does this mean anything up to 10 will go as normal SMS...or any group message will convert to MMS...even if for instance, you only send to 5 people?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 11 of 49

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi guys,

Thanks for offering advice here.

@Anonymous , sorry top hear that you feel that this wasn't clear and if I may ask everyone; Do you think MMS criteria should be clearer? If so, how would you include the info if it were up to you? 

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 12 of 49

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122826 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@Toby wrote:

Hi guys,

Thanks for offering advice here.

@Anonymous , sorry top hear that you feel that this wasn't clear and if I may ask everyone; Do you think MMS criteria should be clearer? If so, how would you include the info if it were up to you? 

I thought it was clear @Toby  until I heard of the bulk messaging. I didn't realise the implications of this if honest?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 13 of 49

MI5
  • 144191 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27633 Solutions
The clearest way is to bin MMS altogether.
O2 can do this easily by just turning it off.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 14 of 49

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
The clearest way is to bin MMS altogether.
O2 can do this easily by just turning it off.

I agree. There have been too many instances of people being caught out by this MMS problem. We've seen it time and time again, and it's always more prevalent at Christmas time.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 15 of 49

MI5
  • 144191 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27633 Solutions
Very little need for it these days and the fact that the data has to be different from the normal data we all get is nothing short of a rip off (all networks btw, not just O2)
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 16 of 49

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff It's as clear as mud in the user guide!

image.jpg

Message 17 of 49

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cleoriff
  • 122826 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/customerdocumentation/Fire+Phone+User+Guide_UK.pdf

Thanks @Anonymous ..As you say ...as clear as mud...Evil

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 19 of 49

Anonymous
Not applicable

The messages we're under 160 characters and no smilies we're used. The only reason I can see O2 converted the text messages into multimedia is bulk messaging. But I have never been charged extra for bulk messaging text messages. 

At the very least O2 should advertise such things before you get a phone, if I would have known I would never have choosen O2. Maybe that's why they don't tell you.

Message 20 of 49