cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazon Fire text messages being converted and CHARGED to multimedia messages

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am disgusted with the complete lack of customer support I have received, over christmas I sent out numberous text messages on my amazon fire phone wishing my friends and family a merry christmas. As I have unlimited text messages as part of my package I foresaw no problems occuring. I couldn't have been more worng!

On Boxing day I received a message on my phone informing me I had gone over my text message allowance and now owed an extra £30.00 on top of my bill. As it was boxing day I wanted until the next day to contact O2 customer support, when the next day came and I phoned O2 I was informed I now owe £45.00 on top of my bill! It turns out my text messages we're converted to multimedia messages, I wasn't given any warning nor was informed it might happen prior to purchasing the phone! I was given a wide range of excuses as to why this could happen including: sending more than 2 text messages at one time, sending a contact, to sending a smilly face!

Customer services would only say that they have passed it over to the network investigation team and I would have to wait a few days for their decision. A few days passed and I called again only to discover it could take up to a week for someone to get intouch with me, and I should await their call / e-mail. After A WEEK AND A HALF I called again and the Network Investigation Team had made the decision that all charges we're valid and hadn't bothered to let me know.

I was then informed to send a complaint to the Complaint Review Service via e-mail informing them of everything that had happened to me. This I did on the 5th January, I have been waiting 21 days for a reply! I was orginally informed it would take three working days for someone to get intouch, then seven working days, after fourteen I requested customer services get intouch with the Complaint Review Service, or if I could have their number niether of these we're possible as Customer Services dosn't have the contact details for the Complaint Review Service. I have never been treated with such a complete lack of customer service in my life. O2 are after one thing YOUR MOMEY and are more than happy to scam you out of it!

Message 1 of 49
48 REPLIES 48

Anonymous
Not applicable

Did use any emoticons, it was just text. Which is why I was so shocked.

Message 21 of 49

Anonymous
Not applicable

That's shocking wish I never got the phone now.

Message 22 of 49

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm not surprised you were shocked.

I've never been charged MMS charges for sending a normal text to over 10 people on my iPhone. I do this by individually choosing each contact out of my contacts list.
Message 23 of 49

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

At the very least O2 should advertise such things before you get a phone, if I would have known I would never have choosen O2. Maybe that's why they don't tell you.

They do.....

http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=Companion,question=ref(User):str(Mobile),CASE=52295

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 24 of 49

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous  Another member posted the info from the Firephone T+C's. There is no clarification in that info about what constitutes Bulk messaging.. A real annoying state of affairs to say the least. Seems a bit of a con to get users to spend money when they had no idea....:smileysad:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 25 of 49

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

At the very least O2 should advertise such things before you get a phone, if I would have known I would never have choosen O2. Maybe that's why they don't tell you.

They do.....

http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=Companion,question=ref(User):str(Mobile),CASE=52295

Yes...that's fine Rich...but if this was bulk messaging.... the firephone isnt clear on that...

Also in the O2 link you posted it says this

Note – Your phone will tell you if it is changing your message to an MMS (picture message). Keep your eye out for it and don’t ignore it.

Many posters have said they never get such a message?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 26 of 49

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

Note – Your phone will tell you if it is changing your message to an MMS (picture message). Keep your eye out for it and don’t ignore it.

Maybe they don't have the option enabled - It is a tick box setting that needs enabling, usually.....

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 27 of 49

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

@Cleoriff wrote:

Maybe they don't have the option enabled - It is a tick box setting that needs enabling, usually.....

Mmmmmm...yes...well there is that.... (note to self...try not to challenge our Mastermind) LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 28 of 49

Anonymous
Not applicable

Reading the destructions again, it looks to me that sending anything other than a single message becomes a group message which can have up to 10 recipients and will be charged as a MMS?

But I would've presumed that would've been determined by the network and not the handset?

Message 29 of 49

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous Just out of curiousity have you tried the Mayday App to ask Amazon direct?

Message 30 of 49