Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G Issue / 3G Issue

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions

So, i hope you guys can help. My home and work 4G signal is about 2 bars. Seems to work fine but now and then i get a voicemail without the phone showing a missed call. So, to avoid this I changed my data speed down to 3G. However, I have notice that places where I can get a 4G signal, will only pick up a 2G signal when the phone is set to 3G. Its a nokia Lumia 930, 8.1 and fully updated. I now find myself changing the setting depending where i am I wanting to use the internet. Anyone any ideas. Should 4G not drop to 3G rather than sit on one bar, draining the battery and bouncing calls. Also, shouldn't there be a 3G signal where 4G is available?

Cheers.

Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144086 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
If the phone can see a 4G signal it will try to connect - They always go for the fastest connection.
Just because there is a 4G signal also doesn't guarantee there will be a 3G signal behind it although you would usually expect it to be.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
This is not a handset issue.

I have the same at my home. If I connect to 4g, I am unable to make or receive calls even though I have two bars of signal.

If however I turn 4g off I then only get 2g so I can call or text but not use data.

O2 don't understand it. But then o2 also state that I cannot get 4g here.....
Message 2 of 7

MI5
  • 144086 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
If the phone can see a 4G signal it will try to connect - They always go for the fastest connection.
Just because there is a 4G signal also doesn't guarantee there will be a 3G signal behind it although you would usually expect it to be.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 7

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
Well happy it's not my phone that's the problem, but sad due to the disconnect with the network signals. This reminds me of when you used to have to manually select a network when roaming for better signal as the networks at preferred partners. Oh well, lets hope it improves over time.
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 4 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Strange i have a 930 and my 4G is only 2 bars but i have no problems with calls or texts, also running 8.1 with Denim update. have you checked live status to see if there's any problems in your area?.

Message 5 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have a further update on this one.

In my case 4g (according to o2) is not available in my area. 3g is available but only by the skin of its teeth. My local mast is 2g only (why does that not surprise me with o2).

So in my case in one room upstairs my Note 3 picks up 4g, running at 14mbs so on the edge of range. However the 3g behind it is right on the edge of the network so the handset struggles to reach the network.

Solution is to switch phone to 2g only which is a pain in the rear because it is a hassle. I have wifi at home so not a drama but you would think in this day and age. ....
Message 6 of 7

MI5
  • 144086 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
Its about time that smartphones had a switch to choose automatically between the strongest or the fastest signal.....

Currently using:
Message 7 of 7