cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3G availability

Anonymous
Not applicable

Recently, I had the opportunity to visit Australia. As part of my vacation my wife and I visited the Great Barrrier Reef. 

Sitting on a floating pontoon several miles off-shore I noticed I had a good 3G signal. I reflected on how I could be possible for that when I have to hang out of my window at home, 20 miles from Edinburgh. 

Is it possible that O2 and the other providers are spending too much money developing 4G without considering their "poor relations"? 

Come on O2. Spare a thought!!!

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Many areas in the UK don't have 3g still, 12 years on since it was first rolled out, however, O2 have an obligation to provide it to 98% of the population as part of the 4g license requirements by the end of 2017.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Many areas in the UK don't have 3g still, 12 years on since it was first rolled out, however, O2 have an obligation to provide it to 98% of the population as part of the 4g license requirements by the end of 2017.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

I seem to recall O2 have expressed a hope that the 98% target will be met by the end of 2015.

Message 3 of 7

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

What a wonderful picture that conjures up....In Australia, on the Barrier reef...sitting on a pontoon miles from nowhere....and still getting 3G....Just about 'perfick'...:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 7

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I seem to recall O2 have expressed a hope that the 98% target will be met by the end of 2015.

It was 2015 originally but they "revised" it Destroy

Currently using:
Message 5 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Expect further revisions then!! 

Message 6 of 7

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

@MI5 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Expect further revisions then!! 

No they have a binding agreement, O2 are obliged to do this but they thought they could complete it earlier.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 7 of 7