cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

02 Travel and Skype

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I am getting confused regarding 02 Travel and Skype. I am on a pay monthly phone contract and assume I can use 02 Travel without any usage limit if I sign up for it. However, when I rang up customer support and mentioned Skype I was told this was not included. Nevertheless, when I checked the terms and conditions it said:

'Audio and video streaming are available with O2 Travel but the quality of the audio/video will be optimised for a mobile device'.

Which seems to contradict the advice of what I was given. So is Skype available when using 02 Travel? I often go to Greece, so would be interested if anyone has actually experienced using it or not being able to use it when in Europe.

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

You can use Skype but call quality may be questionable dependant on signal strength. Bear in mind using it will cost you £1.99/day for data. Much better if you can use it over wifi as it will be free.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

I can see it says "There's no upper usage limit, but data speeds will vary with usage." (https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/international/using-phone-in-europe).

I don't know if that means the network you are using will slow you down if they think you are consuming too much data/bandwidth as their 'guest?' 

I don't see how O2 would be able to specifically block Skype? 

Message 2 of 8

jonsie
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

You can use Skype but call quality may be questionable dependant on signal strength. Bear in mind using it will cost you £1.99/day for data. Much better if you can use it over wifi as it will be free.

Message 3 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous 

Skype can be used....If on wifi it is free but you will use your data allowance on 3g networks....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

I do intend on using wifi where possible, but there are some places that have 3g but not wifi. Therefore I was going to turn on 3g and data roaming when required. 

When I rang up and spoke to customer services they were insistent that skype could not be used, therefore I assumed all VOIP services cound not be used either.

However, from what I have read here and O2's terms it seems this was a classic case of lack of staff training.

Unless I hear otherwise, I'll sign up tomorrow.

Thanks to all who replied.

Message 5 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Best of luck with it. Enjoy your time in Greece wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 8

jonsie