Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unable to open media content

joules
Level 4: Observant
  • 140 Posts
  • 19 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi received a text on my nokialumia 520 which said it had media content, said get media content now (253KB) however when I clicked nothing happened. Any suggestions please? many thanks

Message 1 of 20
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi @joules 

apologies in advance if I'm going to add more information but had to add and clarify some things

The Nokia 520 does not support OTA settings, meaning there is no point in sending the message to ask for the settings. Assuming MMs is actually provisioned in your account this is what you need to do

Method 1

This device allows you to reset your settings to default, please try method 1 before method 2.

1. Tap Settings
  2. Tap Sim and Mobile
  3. Tap Add Internet APN

This will now show as active

Method 2

1. Tap Settings
  2. Tap Sim and Mobile
  3. Tap Add Internet APN

Enter the following details:

Connection name: O2 Pay and Go

For the Internet APN

Access point Name: payandgo.o2.co.uk
Username: payandgo
Password: password
Proxy address: 193.113.200.195
Proxy port: 8080
Authentication type: PAP

For the MMS APN

Username: payandgo
Password: password
Proxy address: 193.113.200.195
Proxy port: 8080
MMSC address: http://mmsc.mms.o2.co.uk:8002
Authentication type: PAP
PAP Connection type: IPv4

Then tap the access point you just created, and it will show as active

What To Do Next:

Switch your handset off and then back on to complete your settings.

Everything is case sensitive, so you must type everything carefully. If after this you still cant download the message, try and sending a mmms  to yourself, if it doesn't work then you need 4445 to add mms to your account. If you can receive your own mms but cant open that mms it means it was sent in a format that your phone cannot open because it's not compatible. Hope this helps! slight_smile

View solution in original post

Message 15 of 20
19 REPLIES 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
We're you expecting a mms message ?

If your not sure then it's probably safer to not open it.

http://www.o2.co.uk/myo2/picturemessages

Help here http://www.geeksquad.co.uk/articles/o2-apn-settings#o2%20Windows%20Phone%20APN%20MMS%20mobile%20inte... and or text ACTIVE to 2020, save the settings and turn the phone off and on.

You may also need O2 Customer Services which is 202 for Contract -> 4445 for PAYG -> http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus to re provision your account for mms
Message 2 of 20

joules
  • 140 Posts
  • 19 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi I know it is safe to open as it was sent by my sister, could I ask (daft question maybe) but I have got my wifi internet turned off and just using for texting and phoning!

Do I need it on? and how would I know if it is an MMS, I know it came from an apple iphone?

Many thanks

Message 3 of 20

joules
  • 140 Posts
  • 19 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks I have now turned on WIFI.

It says get media content now it I click it nothing happens so should I text ACTIVE to 2020?

Message 4 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
Turn on your mobile data on your Lumia.

Settings, Mobile Network or Cellular, Data Connection, select Off or On as required.
Message 5 of 20

joules
  • 140 Posts
  • 19 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

sorry do you mean turn on WIFI, have already done this, if not where do I find mobile data to turn on, sorry not really used if for this purpose?

Message 6 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
One way is ->

Settings, Mobile Network or Cellular, Data Connection, select Off or On as required.

More info here -> http://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-and-devices#/nokia/lumia-520/internet/usecase/enable-or-disable-mobi...

Are you on contract or PAYG with a usable data allowance in your tariff.
Message 7 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
If you have Wi-Fi on then you have no need for mobile data. Do you have mms turned on in your settings & is o2 provisioned on your a account
Message 8 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is mms provisioned on your account & did you receive a text enabling you to set up mms
Message 9 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
There are some strange pieces of advice here which I think may be confusing the OP.

1. IMessage is for Apple devices. This is a Nokia. So the colour notification is irrelevant.
2. MMS do not arrive via wifi, they need gsm data.
3. MMS do need a Data Connection. The OP says the message is 253kb so roughly speaking that is the amount of data that will be used to bring the message in.

If the OP is in a 2g area (denoted as "g" on your phone to determine which signal you are picking up) then an MMS "may" struggle to get through (where I live I can't get MMS at home, I have to wait until I get to a 3g area (denoted 3g or h or h+).

So there are two likely issues here:

1. If you are in a 2g only area you may struggle to open the message. It will stay there till you go to a 3g or 4g area. (It may also give you the opportunity to access the message on the o2 website if it can't download it in which case your wifi would be ok).
2. Text Active to 2020 and you will get two messages back from o2. Install both when asked to do so then try to open your message again.

I hope this helps
Message 10 of 20