cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows phone 8.1

Anonymous
Not applicable
Windows phone 8.1 should be announced today with a rumoured release date of 23rd April.
So question is, how long until O2 get it out to us? I'm starting my campaign now due the stupidly long wait for gdr3 on huawei w1.
Message 1 of 68
67 REPLIES 67

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think O2 have confirmed in these forums that it will void your warranty unfortunately.

As a developer, I've got wp8.1 on a secondary device. Its a much better OS than wp8.

Hopefully it wont be long until the full release including firmware is made available.
Message 11 of 68

Anonymous
Not applicable

Windows Phone 8.1 works great on the 520, I use as my primary device. I use Cortana in the UK, and she doesn't use a lot of mobile data. O2 might decide to wait until Nokia Cyan comes out before releasing.

Message 12 of 68

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Windows Phone 8.1 works great on the 520, I use as my primary device. I use Cortana in the UK, and she doesn't use a lot of mobile data. O2 might decide to wait until Nokia Cyan comes out before releasing.

WP8.1 is supposed to work across the whole range of WP8 devices, so it's good to hear that its working well on the 520.

Given the way that Lumia Black was released, I think we'll see Windows Phone 8.1 released at the same time as the Cyan update.

When O2 release this, we'll get Cyan, WP8.1 and any additional post developer preview released that Microsoft have made to the OS.

Message 13 of 68

captainprice
Level 6: Acolyte
  • 165 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 4 Solutions
WP 8.1 works ok on my 620 notification centre works well def better than wp 8.0
Message 14 of 68

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have been using Windows 8.1 by joining the developers preview programme. I have Cortana. There have been no issues.it is quick and cortana is fun.you can open apps and dictate text and send sms by voice.so I would recommend installing it.It does take a while 3 to 4hrs and you need American language pack
Message 15 of 68

Anonymous
Not applicable
Microsoft appear to be making a complete dogs leg out of the 8.1 developer update for huawei w1, they can't get it to install and just causes an error along with them not giving any information but just choosing to keep posting to check back Thursdays, the Microsoft forum is going daft over it and looks like it may cost ms some customers and a lot of good will.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/winphone/forum/wp8-wpupdate/windows-phone-81-ascend-w1-80188309/5...
Message 16 of 68

Anonymous
Not applicable

@captainprice wrote:
WP 8.1 works ok on my 620 notification centre works well def better than wp 8.0

I agree.  The notification center is one of the better aspects of WP 8.1

I know other phones have had this feature for a while now, but I like the way that it's implemented in WP8.1.  It's just the little things like this that make WP8.1 a much more user friendly operating system.

Message 17 of 68

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I have been using Windows 8.1 by joining the developers preview programme. I have Cortana. There have been no issues.it is quick and cortana is fun.you can open apps and dictate text and send sms by voice.so I would recommend installing it.It does take a while 3 to 4hrs and you need American language pack

I'm looking forward to using Cortana when its fully released in the UK - I'm not sure it will recognize my Northern accent though wink

From everything I've read about it and comments like yours, I can see it being very useful.

Message 18 of 68

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Microsoft appear to be making a complete dogs leg out of the 8.1 developer update for huawei w1, they can't get it to install and just causes an error along with them not giving any information but just choosing to keep posting to check back Thursdays, the Microsoft forum is going daft over it and looks like it may cost ms some customers and a lot of good will.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/winphone/forum/wp8-wpupdate/windows-phone-81-ascend-w1-80188309/5e00c412-16cc-46bd-b6a2-fa6df0ba7c58?page=1&tm=1398983621915

It's a pain that this is happening for Huawei users, but this is eactly the reason for having a developer's preview.

I know the software that is currently available from Microsoft is the finished version of WP 8.1, but it doesn't have all the device specific stuff in it and unfortunately problems like this are bound to occur.  With this being a preview software release, there are likely to be some errors.

Microsoft seem to be working on the problem so hopefully will have a fix for when the networks roll out the update to Huawei users.

Message 19 of 68

Anonymous
Not applicable

As the phones have O2 branding on them they will need to ensure that the updates not only carry their branding but will work correctly once installed.  All networks do the same when they provide branded phones - I used to work for T-Mobile and they were the same.

It may not seem like it, but it's all about customer service - not point releasing something then it all goes wrong!

Perhaps if Apple did the same you wouldn't read as many horror stories on Facebook everytime they update their phones! 

Message 20 of 68