cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows phone 8.1

Anonymous
Not applicable
Windows phone 8.1 should be announced today with a rumoured release date of 23rd April.
So question is, how long until O2 get it out to us? I'm starting my campaign now due the stupidly long wait for gdr3 on huawei w1.
Message 1 of 68
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Hey Demonis, as soon as I have any info I'll update everyone here.

Have you learned any other details about the update itself and what it contains? I'm sure everyone here would be really interested!
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 68
67 REPLIES 67

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi.

From recent discussions it does 'seem' to look like they are getting these firmware updates , looking into what's in them to ensure they include only what they want their customers to have and test it for their network platform and then release it a bit more quickly.

One reason why I like to use iOS = None of this happens !

Message 2 of 68

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions
All operating systems are susceptible to delays. Are you absolutely sure O2 brand and distribute their own version of Windows 8.1?

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 3 of 68

Anonymous
Not applicable
First it has to go to huawei for compatabilty testing then it has to go to o2 foe more testing and adding branding etc, gdr3 wasn't released by o2 for a good 3-5 months after it came out.
Message 4 of 68

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

That's a pity. I hate that with network-based firmware and probably one of the reasons I try to go for operating systems that arrive in line with the manufacturers schedule. My last Galaxy S2 had the O2 firmware on it until one day I went with the Samsung International firmware.

This is one of the benefits of going with a Google Nexus 4/5 or Apple iPhone where updates come direct from the manufacturers. Although if that's the case, who from the UK network is actually testing the network functions. I always wondered if this is a form of boosting sales in new models in the same range of handsets. Unless you're an inside I'll guess we'll never know. 

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 5 of 68

L_W_Ward
Level 12: Nimble
  • 625 Posts
  • 42 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

I would like to know this too. I recently got a Lumia 1520 via O2 and I know it has branded firmware on it so we are at the mercy of O2 for this update. 

Can to tell us which WP hardware you will be updating O2?

iPhone 13 Pro Max 25gBG,
iPad 9th Gen,
Apple Watch Ultra,
,Airpod Pro,
Apple TV 4K,
Apple TV HD,
HomePods,
Message 6 of 68

Anonymous
Not applicable
Every windows 8 phone is upgradable to Wp8.1, it's just when O2 can be bothered to get it out.
At the wbuild conference today they said it will be available to all in a couple of months so I wouldn't expect to get it until late June at the earliest.
Message 7 of 68

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Hey Demonis, as soon as I have any info I'll update everyone here.

Have you learned any other details about the update itself and what it contains? I'm sure everyone here would be really interested!
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 8 of 68

Anonymous
Not applicable

WPCentral have a list of the new features in WP8.1

http://www.wpcentral.com/windows-phone-81-features

I'm most excited about native podcast support and the new notification center.  Oh, and that Lumia 930 - I hope that comes to O2 slight_smile

Message 9 of 68

Anonymous
Not applicable

Anyone can upgrade to WIndows Phone 8.1 now, but it will be the Preview for developers.  The only issue with this is that it might void the phone warranty with O2 and the OEM.  Which is the only reason why i havent done it yet.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/mobile-phone/3511925/how-download-windows-phone-81-cortana/?zk=mob...

If someone from O2 could confirm it wont void the warranty then i'd upgrade right now.

Message 10 of 68