cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows phone 8.1 update for non-nokia devices

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Everyone!

I have a HTC 8x and I've been waiting for the 8.1 update like everyone else. While the new info from O2 was really helpful, it doesn't say anything about non-Nokia devices so I was wondering if anyone has any information about it?
Message 1 of 50
49 REPLIES 49

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
I'm waiting to hear what they have to say about the AtivS.....

I heard back from Samsung and I've been told that the update is complete but, for SIM free devices like mine, they are waiting on Microsoft to roll it out. As for O2 branded devices the update will have to be approved by O2 first.

Message 21 of 50

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144148 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
Cheers mate - I'm Sim Free too so hopefully MS will get on with it slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 22 of 50

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
Cheers mate - I'm Sim Free too so hopefully MS will get on with it slight_smile

No problem. I think it's just a case of waiting, Microsoft are probably concentrating on the Lumia devices first and that makes sense seeing as they own the Lumia range.

Message 23 of 50

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous I have an HTC 8X and Microsoft has just (in the last couple of days) pushed out WP 8.1 Update 1 (8.1.1) to 8X and 8S devices that have the Developer Preview installed. 

The Developer Preview is free to anyone and means you can get updates as soon as they're ready from Microsoft without having to wait for either o2 or HTC, assuming yours is carrier locked.  Get all the info on the Developer Preview below and you can have 8.1.1 within the next hour.

http://www.wpcentral.com/preview-for-developers

The difference in the Developer Preview and an official update is that it contains all of the OS updates but it won't have any newer carrier or OEM firmware included.  However, as soon as that becomes available, your phone will upgrade to that newer firmware without loss of anything, it's win-win.

The actual delay in this instance is all HTC as far as I can see.  They have dragged their feet over the 8X/8S and Windows Phone in general.  Before the 'HTC One M8 for Windows' launched a few weeks ago, they last touched WP8 with the single carrier launch of the 8XT which was US-only (Sprint) and that was July 2013.  Nothing from them since then in updates or products compared to the relentless pace of Nokia (now Microsoft Mobile Oy).

I now have a Lumia 930 as my primary device and I couldn't be happier.  Will never go back to HTC again (although I still use my 8X as a work phone).

Message 24 of 50

Anonymous
Not applicable

Windows 8.1 update

If you can "do" the CSC change thingy - and change it to ATO, from your current setting (mine was BTU) - the phone will pause for a bit then hard reset.....you can get the updates.......

I changed my CSC back again afterwards....all good !!!

I like.....very much 🙂

Message 25 of 50

MI5
  • 144148 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
Any camera crashing issues at all ?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 26 of 50

Anonymous
Not applicable
Picture with auto flash (flashed) - no probs
10 secs video - no probs
2x10 image bursts - no probs....

v quick test - but back at front menu, all looking good !
Message 27 of 50

MI5
  • 144148 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
Cheers mate - that's another job I've got to do now slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 28 of 50

Anonymous
Not applicable
Enjoy!
Message 29 of 50

MI5
  • 144148 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
I'm looking forward to it - What other changes do we get...?

Currently using:
Message 30 of 50