Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocking Strangeness

tullyhubbert
Level 3: Thinker
  • 102 Posts
  • 14 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

About 10 months ago I bought a Lumia 925 of a neighbour, it was a new but unwanted O2 upgrade with O2 firmware.

Twice a year I visit the Isle of Man and use a Manx SIM while I'm there. As I'm a pay monthly O2 customer I requested an unlock code for the phone. While I was waiting I tried the Manx SIM and was surprised to find it worked fine, the phone seemed to be unlocked. An O2 unlock code later arrived by email but I never needed to use it.

I bought a Lumia 830 in Feb and eventually sold the 925 on ebay about 5 weeks ago. I had advertised it as unlocked and running O2 firmware. I included a picture showing the phone working with Manx Telecom.

Much to my surprise I received a mesage from the buyer today, he has been out of the country working and when he tried his EE SIM it woudn't work. I had visions of everything going sadly wrong but I gave him the previously unused unlock code supplied by O2 and its now working fine with his EE SIM.

So how come it worked with a Manx SIM? I never actually used it in the IOM, only in the UK when it was roaming but reporting Manx Telecom? Strange but at least my ebay customer is sorted slight_smile

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
They clearly still use the same network protocols though.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 11 of 12

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions