Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unfair condition of second hand mobile phone sales

Anonymous
Not applicable

Mobile phone sales

Responsible department: Department for Culture, Media and Sport

Right now there is no option with the mobile phone operators to transfer ownership of a mobile phone, therefore a second hand phone can be blocked by the original owner simply by quoting the IMEI number and having that phone reported lost or stolen.

I call that the mobile operators make a change in the industry to allow us to buy second hand phone so that they truly would be ours.

It should be a criminal offence to block some one else's phone.

Please vote for this change so that your second hand phone is more secure, and not open to someone else blocking it.

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/67125

Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144287 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions
Fully agree!
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable
We do hear of horror stories where phone are blocked due to insurance fraud.

However if one buys their second hand phone from high street shops such as CEX then your covered by the shop warranty.

We need the security feature of imei blocking for the right reasons.

One could call for the ban of second hand mobiles on well known auction sites. wink

This wouldn't stop it but would possibly cut it down.
Message 3 of 29

MI5
  • 144287 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions
Nothing to say the rightful owner still can't block a phone for the right reasons.
The law needs to move in time and keep pace with modern society which it doesn't currently do.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable
Which is why I said.... "We need the security feature of imei blocking for the right reasons."

Probably easy to say but not so easy to do.

I'm no armchair lawyer but I'm sure the industry and law makers will have already looked at this.

Be interesting if anyone could link into any official white papers etc on this.
Message 5 of 29

MI5
  • 144287 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions
A change to the current law on ownership would benefit us all and we should be supporting it 100%

Currently using:
Message 6 of 29

jonsie
  • 93213 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6969 Solutions

The responsibility for any change of ownership would obviously be on the seller which should be easy enough to do either by phone or online form (with security details passed) and new owner details added.

It may be a little inconvenient and time consuming but everything should be done to protect both the buyer and seller.

Don't forget, a second hand phone can be used for illegal purposes and traced back to the registered owner. If he has no details of the sale things could be a little difficult to explain. There is the obvious fraud element by the seller too.

I can't understand why something like this hasn't been implemented a long time ago. It should be treated exactly like selling a car.

Message 7 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable
I concur this does need looking at.
Message 8 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yeh currently mobile operators do not allow the transfer of ownership of the IMEI number. I got caught and there was no way to resolve the issue. Contacted the police who stated that it is a civil matter and I need to deal with the original owner
Message 9 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable
I would tend to buy from reputable stores with a valid receipt showing the imei number
Message 10 of 29